Vortex problem

reaper4

Well I was starting to think that my little vortex diamondback hp was the best thing since sliced bread for the $309 I paid for it but at the range last week the reticle turned completely sideways. I was just confirming zero for a hunt I have coming up Friday and now I am going to have to cancel the fun. I did talk to their customer service and the lady did not seem like she wanted to talk to me but informed be that I should have my scope back in about 10 business days. Now I have to figure out if I am going to trust the scope again or go with something else.
Anyone else seen this problem from vortex?

Originally Posted By: reaper4Well I was starting to think that my little vortex diamondback hp was the best thing since sliced bread for the $309 I paid for it but at the range last week the reticle turned completely sideways. I was just confirming zero for a hunt I have coming up Friday and now I am going to have to cancel the fun. I did talk to their customer service and the lady did not seem like she wanted to talk to me but informed be that I should have my scope back in about 10 business days. Now I have to figure out if I am going to trust the scope again or go with something else.

Yes....But they have a great warranty.... Is what I hear all the time.
smile.gif

So your saying a 300 dollar scope is keeping you home from a hunt?

Unfortunately yes, I have liquidated all of my firearms that were not absolutely essential a little while back to pay for my dad's last expenses and I can't afford to get another scope in the mean time. It was going to be a diy hunt with a buddy and I was already fronting him the money to go. Now it just seems irresponsible to pull money out of savings to replace it and go

I found the hp to be clear and tracked really well but I really need an optic I can depend on. I am not easy on my equipment and I know that's a fault of mine but I feel that there are products I can count on even with my abuse....maybe not a vortex

Just measured poi shift with my adjustments and it was moving extremely true to my adjustments. As well as returning to absolute zero. There was not one but of error in zero one I returned the turrets

Originally Posted By: reaper4Now I have to figure out if I am going to trust the scope again or go with something else.

If you dont want to trust a brand of scope because it had a problem then I am not sure what scope you can trust since every manufacturer out there has had scopes with problems. You don't have another firearm at all that you could take on the hunt?

A shotgun and a wmr but for the area I don't think that they will really work very well. And believe me I am not counting them out, I will give the new scope a shot and see how it all plays out. I really liked the optic so I am hoping this was just a fluke as I am sure it happens to the best of companies. And the trip will just have to wait a couple weeks that's all. Not a really big deal just voicing some frustration and wondering if anyone else had seen the same problem. I have seen it while shooting the heavy recoiling calibers but never on a 223

I also had a reticle blow out of a vortex db on an AR during a hunt. was not happy and not too impressed with the scope. Got my money back and have not bought another vortex product. Most of their lower end stuff is made in china. I feel like there are better options for $300, take a look at the older nikon buckmasters, you can still find them on ebay. helluva scope for the money.

Last edited:
I think all optics have there little quirks now and then. I just sent in my Leupold 6.5-20 back as the cross hair dot had slipped down and to the left. Now I've got a West Germany scope that I noticed the vertical cross hair has moved over to the right half way from center to the far right.
Right now I have 7 Vortex scopes + 2 binoculars, range finder and spotting scope, no problems yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: psdan000take a look at the older nikon buckmasters, you can still find them on ebay. helluva scope for the money.

agree. and emphasis on older. the ones before the buckmaster II as they are now called.

I have broke 3 Vortex scopes..needless to say I bought 2 diamondback HP's and SO far they are doing fine.I do have a Razor HD and an older PST(Serial #5xx) and they are awesome.Vortex got super big super fast and quality has gone to shiz.Build quality stuff to get their name going..Have a stellar warranty..Then sub out everything and try to find a way to build it cheaper and watch the cash roll in.
I have learned the hard way.
Optics CAN cost more then your gun..its OK if that is true.
Save your $$ buy something once and then you got optics that last a lifetime.Warranty does nothing when your scope failed in the middle of a hunt.

This is disappointing to hear right before a hunt. I own several kinds of scopes, from Leupold to Zeiss, to Nikon, Vortex and alot in between. Many of these are high(er) end models (VX-R, Mark IV, HD5, PST, Monarch etc...) I have had issues with most of them at some point or another. Yes, it happens and they do have a great warranty. For some reason no one can say that for Vortex, but if you look up "Leupold Problems" on the forum search, the same thing is said for them and no one questions it. What more do you want from a company than one that stands behind their products? As said above, at some point they all have failed.

Last edited:
I like to have and inexpensive scope set up in cheap rings and all sighted in. I keep it in my kit on a trip for just the problem you've had. Old Weaver 2.5, 3, or 4x can be had cheap and in a set of $10 rings can save a trip. I killed a lot of stuff with them when they were top of the line, they haven't lost their touch when called upon now.

Originally Posted By: erikc838This is disappointing to hear right before a hunt. I own several kinds of scopes, from Leupold to Zeiss, to Nikon, Vortex and alot in between. Many of these are high(er) end models (VX-R, Mark IV, HD5, PST, Monarch etc...) I have had issues with most of them at some point or another. Yes, it happens and they do have a great warranty. For some reason no one can say that for Vortex, but if you look up "Leupold Problems" on the forum search, the same thing is said for them and no one questions it. What more do you want from a company than one that stands behind their products? As said above, at some point they all have failed.

You are correct, all manufactures have had failures. There are no exceptions.

Back