Predator Masters Site Software Move

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
We're in the process of working out the details of a move to an entirely different software package for the site.

Our current software does not have support for mobile devices and it has developed that this software has essentially been orphaned, meaning that it will most likely never see such support added nor have any further upgrades of any kind. This means that in order to move on and provide such support we have to move to a new system.

Such a system has been selected. The primary requirements were:

#1 - Provide the maximum support for migrating all of our data. Member profiles, posts, ect, with the least amount of loss possible.

#2 - Support access via mobile devices.

Our hosting service has been running tests on data conversion and has the biggest parts working. We still have a lot of things to resolve, but at some point in coming weeks there will be a period of time when the current forums will be visible but read-only. This is necessitated by the amount of time the data conversion takes. If we allow new posts to be made after the conversion is started, they would be lost. So our plan is to have the site open in read-only mode until the conversion is complete and the new site brought online. This is expected to take 2 to 3 days. We apologize for the inconvenience but it really can't be avoided.

We will make it known some days in advance of the actual start of the conversion, but we also wanted to make our plans known well in advance so everyone has a chance to know what's on the way.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Stu, any ETA a week , a month ?

I have some things to post 4sale.

Thanks for all your work !

PS. I have a question, PM me when you have time.

Tim

One bit of new functionality that I've tested that works:

You can copy & paste pictures directly into your post. You can also upload one directly from your local drive as an attachment & have it show up in the post.

What about URL links to previous posts? I keep a running list in a Word document of all posts I make, and refer back to them from time to time. Last time PM had a change in format, all of my posts prior to the change (lots of them) were lost, or rather my ability to access them via URL was lost. What will this new change do?

Also, am I understanding correctly about posting photos, that Photobucket or some other hosting site might not be needed in order to post photos?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What about URL links to previous posts? I keep a running list in a Word document of all posts I make, and refer back to them from time to time. Last time PM had a change in format, all of my posts prior to the change (lots of them) were lost, or rather my ability to access them via URL was lost. What will this new change do?

Also, am I understanding correctly about posting photos, that Photobucket or some other hosting site might not be needed in order to post photos?

I will find out about links. I *think* they may work but will have to conform.

As to pics, the new software seems to work like some other sites I use & is friendlier than this software is.

On 2nd thought I'm thinking they won't work or be easily resolvable. But I've made note & will find out for sure.

Thanks I seem to use my mobile device more than my laptop. I take it there will be software we will use on our mobile devices?

Originally Posted By: skinneyIs this going to be moving away from the UBB, and more towards the format of Snipershide?

Oh my I hope not.... That place is a disaster since it moved to Scout. I spend very little time there now that it is very user unfriendly.

I always liked the layout and design of this site, it's very simple and just feels right. I vote to leave as-is but im sure my input does not mean much. and FWIW I have no issues accessing this website via mobile device, works just fine for me.

Originally Posted By: psdan000I always liked the layout and design of this site, it's very simple and just feels right. I vote to leave as-is but im sure my input does not mean much. and FWIW I have no issues accessing this website via mobile device, works just fine for me.

Yep this site is very easy to get around in. A lot better then other sites I have seen.. And I have no problems on my mobile devices.

Jason

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

I will find out about links. I *think* they may work but will have to conform.

As to pics, the new software seems to work like some other sites I use & is friendlier than this software is.

I like the posting picture setup without going to Photoshop. Great job.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishOne bit of new functionality that I've tested that works:

You can copy & paste pictures directly into your post. You can also upload one directly from your local drive as an attachment & have it show up in the post.

That alone is worth its weight in gold.

Back