Check out the new Ruger Precision Rifle

X ray chassis $550, savage action, $350, good barrel $400, tools to put this together $150, trigger $110. 20moa rail $100

You could certainly get a build in that $1500 territory, but you're assembling it, though with this above you can have your caliber, your twist, contour, and a great trigger. The big name customs are twice the coin.

$1,000 for this ruger, it isn't proven, frank and the one gun is one example, a great one to have, but yes, this isn't proven proven yet. Factory barrels, a trigger that doesn't go down to that 1 1/2lb pull I like... There are variables here that may make someone say that extra $500-$1,000 for a more custom gun is worth it.

I still have to say that without a doubt this is a gun that deserves a serious look, and if a guy can buy an aftermarket barrel and install it himself, you've got something seriously hard to beat.

Does anyone know what the barrel situation is? It's one thing to have a rifle that allows you to switch barrels yourself quickly. It's quite another if it will have a savage like system that allows you to order a finished barrel you can pop in that wont require a smith at all.

If aftermarket gets ahold of a lighter trigger for it...

Interesting without a doubt, well thought out, for certain, it's a factory barreled action and trigger in an aftermarket style well thought out chassis and perfect twists. Quality control needs to be high, time will tell.

Interesting. Right off the bat the forward portion (from the magazine latch forward) of the chassis resembles one of the AI chassis. Can't say which model as I'm not familiar with the models.

Last edited:
The ad says you can change the barrels yourself with AR tools - it does not say it takes AR barrels. I'd guess as with the Savages and such, the aftermarket will respond with barrels once the juices get flowing.....give it a couple of years like Savage Axis and Ruger American aftermarket stocks, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1badsheeLooks to me like it is a barrel extension setup like a ar15.

Hmmmm.....I was thinking the opposite - it doesn't look like an AR style bbl ext to me in their cutaway....guess we'll see. If this thing shoots, at this price, i believe it'll take away from the custom tactical long range market a bit, and will develop it's own aftermarket following. If it turns out that this is the American action, AND it shoots well, the aftermarket on American parts should explode........Savage will HAVE to respond.

I read it or saw it was based on the american action, other than the plaform itself the most appealing thing is it accepts so many different mags.

I called and talked to a lady from ruger today. As of now they don'. Know what other chamberings will be available and she didn't know about the barrel extension or how The barrel is attached. Also, no option to purchase a complete receiver/bolt aside from complete rifle.

She did say the is a "tell a CEO" option on the website where we can voice an opinion on changes or options for ruger to offer. If they get enough requests they will work to give the customers what they want. I have not searched the site for the link but I plan too.

I handled one yesterday at my LGS they just got it in on thursday.

It was the 308 with 20 inch barrel. It had a nice feel and balance to it. They were asking $950.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI called and talked to a lady from ruger today. As of now they don'. Know what other chamberings will be available and she didn't know about the barrel extension or how The barrel is attached. Also, no option to purchase a complete receiver/bolt aside from complete rifle.

She did say the is a "tell a CEO" option on the website where we can voice an opinion on changes or options for ruger to offer. If they get enough requests they will work to give the customers what they want. I have not searched the site for the link but I plan too.

I used the "Tell the CEO" feature on Ruger's web site today and asked if a left handed version of the Precision Rifle would be made.

I got a response back from Ruger's CEO, Mike Fifer, advising that they may be coming out with a left handed model in 2017....
thumbup.gif

Back