Raccoon Calling???

Labs3

Hey guys I have a question for you. I live in an area that has a pretty good raccoon population that I would take advantage of. So my question is what call sounds would work for calling coons in during daylight hours??? We cannot hunt with artificial light where I'm at.
Thanks for in advance.

The only thing I have found that worked in the day, was the fighting bore sounds..

I found a tree that had to be a den.. I set up and put the call off to the side to hopefully get a broadside shot. I started with rabbit, and then on and on until i tried the fighting males..

There was some growling and then the tasmanian devil came flying out of that tree, down the trunk and was just all around mad.. He was moving toward the call, and i somehow dropped him with the shotgun.
It wasn't what i was expecting at all.. It was a rush of crazy panic, but was fun.. Then i skinned that thing.. Man what a messy greesy thing.. After i skinned, fleshed, and cleaned it up, streched it out and got $12.

I stop shooting them, or hunting them.

LMAO!!!! Thanks for the advice on what sounds you used for calling. Yes they are greasy little critters....

The grease makes them easy to skin lol... I have asked the same question because I was interested some gave me a link that had a video from a guy in Iowa.

I don't call them in but do call them out. I'll set up on a den location so that they have to come out and look for the caller. Coon pup distress and boar fighting are the two I use the most often. Every now and then one will come in from another location. Thing I like about it is I run the caller for about a minute and if none come out or show then I move on to the next den. Been doing this for about 5 years and know where a lot of dens are. I try and hit them just as they clear the den, they tend to pause to locate the ruckus then kick in high gear to either join the fight or get out of the location as fast as possible.

Last edited:
I do some coon calling where I know they are....They love baby cotton tail and vole squeals along with bird sounds if the distress coon doesn't work. I can't tell you how many times they have showed up and attacked the caller while calling for coyotes...

Here is a vid of one attacking my Shockwave

Last edited:
I find den trees, old houses, brush piles, bale piles, and irrigation pipe piles hold good numbers of coons my sequence is 2 min of coon puppies followed by 2 min of distressed raccoon followed by 2 min of coon fight. I have had them charge the caller in under 30 seconds or just start peeking out after 5 minutes of calling. I've also had the best success on the first warm day after a cold snap.

I think calling them would be pretty cool. Maybe ill try it later this fall or on a warm day this winter or in the spring. Here our coons are really nice in the spring still. If you plan to sell them dont shotgun them. THey are sold fur in so the buyers see all the BB holes.

Tried this some when coyotes got smart late season. They come out at mach 10 and charge you. It will scratch your itch for calling preds when dogs and fox are tough. Cant wait to do more this fall
wink.gif

I found a used e caller that I purchased and I cannot wait till this coming fall to try this!! I just purchased a 22mag and I have a 17HMR and they are itching already. I have been laid up with a rotator cuff all winter long and I am about healed up. I better be careful cause I'm wishing the summer away.

Nutty Nuthatch has brought them in for me. Coon fight and distress will bring them out of the den in a hurry. One of my favorite critters to call. 17wsm will knock them out too.

Back