ATV question for you fine folks at PM

Mr. Poppadopalis

I have a question and I would like your honest opinion if you wouldn’t mind.

I am thinking about buying a Can-Am Commander which is a cross between a Polaris RZR and a Polaris Ranger. It is more of a hybrid that I would use for hunting more than pleasure riding.

Currently I have over 90 ranches in Colorado ranging from 1500 acres to 70,000 acres in size, in Nebraska I have around 30 ranches ranging from 10,000 acres down to 1,000 acres.

I can walk for miles, unfortunately I will be going in for knee surgery on the 4th of August and will be out for a month minimum.

Just wondering if having one will up my percentage of kills by getting off the main roads and farther back into the ranches?

Most ranches will not have a problem with me driving it off road.

Thanks for your time!

here is what i have found with atvs and coyote hunting. on a place where the coyotes are not accustomed to hearing atvs when they hear one they become very alert. it is something they do not normally hear. if you park the atv and walk some distance away from it then calling can be good.

if you are on a ranch where vehicle and atvs are used for normal everyday activity on the ranch and coyotes are accustomed to hearing them you can almost park and call coyotes while kneeling behind the atv.

that up there ^^^ is just something i have noticed.

so an atv can help or not.
smile.gif

Here is how I will use the ATV. I will drive into the wind and park the unit below a hill, walk over that hill, wait a few minutes for thing to settle down, and call then into the wind. Shoot two coyotes and then grab the ATV and pick them up. Drive another 1/4 to 1/2 mile into the wind and park below a hill. Shoot 3 coyotes and then pick them up with the ATV. Now I don't have to drag 5 coyotes back a 1/2 mile or so to the truck.

In the past I have always let the coyotes lay, I left a lot of cash on the ground, in January of 2015 i started to collect the coyotes and sell them, I got on average $27.00 per dog on the carcass.

I will always work into the wind and park below a hill. Most of the ranches I hunt have some type of vehicle such as a pick up or atv.

I use ATV Honda 500 from time to time as well-- if u are quite and careful no over revving of the engine use it as stealth mode --sneak in and OUT with it -- when I go in sometimes i get busted with it - but i find if i sit parked (hidden) for a bit - long enough to have sandwich - things settle down quickly - I think they have their place in my bag of trick - not always applicable- but very efficient -- When the river is frozen here - u can travel miles on it - catching endless opportunities to hid and call - collect then move on -- good lucky

Another thing people do around here is use golf carts with a lift and tires!

Craig, is that a silent rider on the last pic? I been thinking about buying one of those for my polaris ranger! What is your real world take on it? Worth it?

Craig, is that a silent rider on the last pic? I been thinking about buying one of those for my polaris ranger! What is your real world take on it? Worth it? [/quote]

Batman,

Sorry to butt in on your question. I have had a Silent Rider ever since Benji started advertising them on one of the outdoor channels ?yrs ago. I really love it. It WILL reduce your exhaust noise considerably. The only comment I have gotten when I am riding are statements like, "Geez your atv is quiet." You wont be sorry.

Originally Posted By: batman1262
Craig, is that a silent rider on the last pic? I been thinking about buying one of those for my polaris ranger! What is your real world take on it? Worth it?

YUP! Worked great. I noticed a significant difference on how close I could get to cattle, horses, deer etc. before they would pick up their heads and notice me coming.

I am hoping they will come out with one for our Honda Pioneer 500 soon.

Because the "Silencer" reduces the exhaust noise they do cause you to notice the mechanical noises of the unit.

https://www.uniqueoutdoorproducts.com/atv-utv-supplies/atv-utv-silencer-silent-rider-benz.html

Last edited:
DoubleCK,

I really like that storage box you have on the back rack of your Rubicon. I need one like it for mine. Is that homemade?

Thanks, RF

All the ranches Mr P & I call on have atvs or utvs on them and the coyotes hear/see them pretty much all the time. We do know that when they see us in our own trucks they scat pretty fast vs the ranches vehicles.
There are so darn many UTVs out there its hard for me to decide on a brand myself and searching online is like a gun answer, 1000 different ones from the Hisun brand that makes a lot of other name brand atv/utv to the brands most of us know already.
I do know we can make it to many more calling spots vs walking to the same ol spots.
I know DoubleCK has been using his for a long time.

Originally Posted By: arfDoubleCK,

I really like that storage box you have on the back rack of your Rubicon. I need one like it for mine. Is that homemade?

Thanks, RF

We had that box made by a Plastic Welder in Southern Montana that makes the tanks for the Ranch Fire Trucks in that area.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice outfit Craig. Good looking bobcat too.

Enjoyed our dinner in Buffalo a few years back.

Thanks! That was a fun gathering.

I have a Kawasaki Mule that I use a lot. I mainly hunt at night, and I set down right in front of it using it as a backdrop.
I have bad hips and I can't walk like I used to, so the Mule is indispensable for me. Some of the farms that I hunt don't want vehicles driving in the fields, but not one person has objected to the Mule. And since I almost always hunt with a buddy, having a two-seater is a must.
A really depend on the Mule, it allows me access that I would not have if I had to park and walk.

I use my Honda Foreman all the time for hunting. Don't have the terrain here in Northeast Pa like you gentlemen have. I really like those Can-Am's but they were abit out of my price range. One good thing about Honda's is reliability. My father has a Foreman that is 14 years old and all he has ever done is change the oil in it. Here's mine.

Back