installing a trigger spring for Browning A Bolt

howler

I did a search but no results,

A while back somebody gave some detail about installing a new (lighter) trigger spring for the browning A bolt, I just orderd the spring kit from midway so if anybody remembers or can somebody fill me in on how to install the spring, it said it was easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks
"the Howler"

Last edited:
It comes with a yellow instruction sheet.
But basically."EMPTY THE CHAMBR 1ST"
Take the action out of the stock.
Locate the pivot pin that holds the trigger in place.
Drift out the pivot pin and push the trigger down.Hint, do your work in a clean well organized setting, if your nose pickers are anything like mine the spring may launch a few times before you get the trigger and spring in the right place for replacing the drift pin.
Replace the spring,reseat the spring on the trigger , replace the drift pin ,reassembel the stock and action,cycle the bolt and set the trigger weight to your liking.( I use a fish weight scale) Cycle and dry fire a few times to make sure things are working properly. Replacing the spring is easy simple. A lot easier than replacing the trigger assy. on a Rem. 700.

Take it to the range and fire all the loads you have.Bring the tools necessary to remove the trigger guard and adjust the little screw on the underside of the trigger, that way you can fine tune it under firing conditions. I know you can make the pull and travel scary lite.
Good luck.
JS

Thanks JS,
I remember the term scary lite, If you are the one who posted the 1st instructions and it sounds like you were, you said that he kit comes with 2 springs one is lite and the other is scary lite,

I am looking forward to my new trigger THANKS

"the howler"

Where did you guys get your springs? I saw a kit in Brownells for about 14 bucks for two itty bitty springs.. yikes.

Duh.. just re read the post. I'll check the price at midway.

Last edited:
You might do better at Brownells,
Midway was 18.99 for the spring kit 3 bucks for special handling and 2.87 for postage total was 24.86 for those itty bitty springs and I agree YIKES

But if my rifle shoots considerably better well maybe its worth it , But I wished I'd have checked at Brownells

I installed the 2 lb spring and WOW I can't believe how well this rifle shoots, its a Browning Varmint Stalker in 204, I have some pics of the rifle and a group with the factory spring and a group with the new Timney 2 lb spring.

here is the Rifle
100_2116.jpg

here is the group with factory spring not a real; good pic but you can see the large group
[image]
100_1892.jpg

Now the Timney spring set near 2 lbs
Its hard to belive the diff. at least for me this is a 5 shot group

100_2120.jpg

So I think it was worth it.

Last edited:
2 lbs????? I just put a spring in mine and I have a 20 oz pull according to my RCBS trigger pull guage. I save springs from where ever I find them. I found one the same diameter as the Browning spring and shortened it and it works just fine. I also used a piece of 1/8" brass tubing over that front pin that holds the bolt lock in and that took care of most of the over-travel. It nice now!!!

Glad it all worked out for you.
Now anything goes sour you'll know its not the rifle.
A smooth not too lite trigger makes a world of difference in group size.
Just picked up a Browning Hunter in .204
Couldn't let the deal go by.
Just what I needed another cal. to reload for.
Ain't life grand?
Hope it shoots as good as yourn.
JS

After reading this post I ordered Timney spring kit from Midway myself and got it installed and am looking forward to shooting it but the weather is not cooperating, windy, hot and humid, so I'll have to wait.

I do not have a trigger pull gauge so I really don't know where it is at and am wondering if I can adjust the trigger to light to be safe.

You can, of course, adjust it too light. Follow the advise in a previous post and do your final adjustments at the range where the rifle will always be pointed down range and "safe" when loaded.

Benchresters shoot sometimes with triggers that seem to go off if you breathe on them, but the rifle never has a round chambered unless it's on a rest pointed downrange, no problem.

Howler
I installed one in my browning 300 win mag a-bolt,made a big difference in my shooting .
All my rifles are 2 to 2.5 lbs triggers .

For my own piece of mind, I am going to get a trigger pull gauge and adjust it accordingly. I want to err on the side of caution since this is my hunting rig. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back