BHW sale

Not everyone is looking for the highest velocity or its farthest range. If I need that I would grab my .260 or 6 XC. I did here the same thing when I went sbr 12.5" .223 but the coyotes still seem to fall down dead.
A 6x45 might be interesting as well.

I'm looking to go light, 55 or 58gr bullets most likely. I'd be happy with anything over 3k fps. This is going to be just a rifle to go calling with, no intention of using it for anything else.

I currently hunt with a 12.5“ ar in 223 so speed isn't top priority. This setup is going to be more light weight than what I'm using now, and hopefully a little faster.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I'm looking to go light, 55 or 58gr bullets most likely. I'd be happy with anything over 3k fps. This is going to be just a rifle to go calling with, no intention of using it for anything else.

I currently hunt with a 12.5“ ar in 223 so speed isn't top priority. This setup is going to be more light weight than what I'm using now, and hopefully a little faster.

You want 3000 out of a 6X6.8 with 55's in a 12 1/2" gun?

I was getting 3500 in a 20" with 58's.The math says its should do it.

Greg

I've seen estimates posted on other forums (yours?) that estimated around 3200fps. I'd be very happy to get around there. Doesn't seem like there's any sbr info around for the 6x6.8 so I estimated conservatively. If all works out this is going to be a great round for such a short length barrel.

I said the math said it would do 3000. Ritch's 16" with 58's does 3250. Lighter bullet would help but as you noted it was estimated on the other forum.

Greg

Greg,

Would I be better off going with the 6.5x6.8 and shooting the 85-95gr bullets out of a sbr? Do you know by chance what kind of velocity I'd be looking at for the lightweight varmint bullets?

nevermind, looks like I'd be better off sticking with what I ordered

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84Greg,

Would I be better off going with the 6.5x6.8 and shooting the 85-95gr bullets out of a sbr? Do you know by chance what kind of velocity I'd be looking at for the lightweight varmint bullets?

nevermind, looks like I'd be better off sticking with what I ordered

I agree.

Greg

Redleg, any idea on where you will be on the overall weight? This seems like it could be a very effective hunting setup. A 6mm bullet going 3200 fps is gonna do damage for quite a ways out for most hunting situations. And here I thought I was done with ar15 builds for this year. Smaller and lighter is where I want to be on my next build for sure.

I just ran that 58vmax on a shooting app at 3000fps, and it's got 500fpe at 300 yards. And still going 1969fps at my location. That's not a bad coyote setup at all.

Last edited:
Here is my 16' 6X6.8 setup. It weighs in at 8lbs. 3oz and that's with a 2 pound Burris eliminator setting on top. I could shave more weight off but it just works to well the way it sits.
This setup will shoot the 58 grain Vmax's at 3250 FPS. It averages right .5 MOA at 100 yards and that is with a light weight barrel. If I had any complaint it would be the barrel heats up pretty fast, but any light weight barrel will do this. It's a trade off of the heavy verses light barrels.

I have a lightweight 16" AR now that is under or around 6lbs scoped, I figure this should be around the same weight if I use that same lower with it. I believe the BHW barrel profile is a little thicker than the barrel I'm currently using but the shorter length should make up the difference. I'll have everything except the barrel this week to put the upper together so I'll have a better idea of the overall weight in a few days.

The sbr that I currently hunt with is much heavier, which is part of the reason why I'm building this upper.

Last edited:
That's a nice setup, it makes that eliminator scope look huge. Getting that kind of velocity out of a 16" barrel had me strongly considering going longer. The added length of a suppressor is what is keeping me from going more than 12.5".

It seems the 58 Vmax is the go-to bullet for people using this cartridge. Is it that much better than the Nosler offering or more just preference for the Vmax? Just curious, I plan on getting both out.

I'm not sure the 12.5" barrel will impress you all that much with the 6X6.8. Simply put I think it's to short for this cartridge. IMHO you would be better off getting a 6X45. There is just to much powder to be burned in that short of a barrel. Even the 16" barrel the muzzle flash is something to see. I installed a brake on this upper when I built it originally and took it off, because of the of unburned powder coming out of the ports of the brake. The concussion was also uncomfortable even with ear muffs on. Without any attachments it is at least tolerable.

We started using the 58grain Vmax because of the shape of the bullet. It has a very abrupt ogive. This will let you start out closer to the lands than the other light for caliber bullets like the Blitz King or the Ballistic Tip etc. It also works very well at the speeds we can push it with the 6X6.8

Ritch -

Are the speeds that you're referring to out of the 12.5" barrel derived from range time or from Quickload or a similar program? What about in the 16" barrel? Are those real speeds? I've always been told that this clambering needs a 22" barrel for its full potential.

Lastly, is there much difference between the 6 x 45 and 6 x 6.8 in the same length barrel and a 65 gr. V-Max?

Your thoughts on barrel length and twist.

I appreciate all of the input guys, I probably should have asked all the questions prior to ordering everything.

I couldn't find much info on the 6x45 so I wasnt sure if it'd be much better than the short barreled 223. If it turns out not to work as well as I had hoped I'll probably just get a longer barrel down the road

The speeds I mentioned are from the 16" barrel in the picture. I am speaking from experience about speeds lost per inch of barrel. The speed lost goes up at a higher rate when you shorten up past 20".
The difference from a 20" barrel to a 16" barrel is right at 200 FPS. Using that information I feel a 12.5" barrel will barley make 3000 FPS, but that's just an educated guess.

The 6X6.8 will be approximately 200 FPS faster than a 6X45 in a 20" barrel. Of course your mileage may vary.

Back