cz 223 40 grain v max for coyote?

avidhunter

I have a 527 in 223 1:12 twist. Will not shoot 55grain well. shoots the 40 grain 3 shots 1/2 at 100 yards. Just not sure if this 40 grain v max will destroy fox and coyote? Anybody shoot them with 40 grain v max out of a 223? What kind of damage do you get?

I have shot a couple fox with the 4o grain v-max Not what I'd call fur friendly. I got quarter sized entry wounds and a little bigger than half dollar exit

What load are you using in your CZ? I have the same gun and 26 grains of Varget with a 55 grain Nosler shoots wonderful in my gun. Matter of fact, it shoots just as good in my 1/14 twist rifles too. That will be the very load that I use on coyote next time that I am going if taking that gun.

I am using 40 grain v max factory loaded ammo. I do not reload but I have a friend that is willing to for me if it will help out. so you shoot 55 grain bullets out of your 1:12 twist accuitly? what are your groups like at 100 yards?

Avidhunter, Your 1/12 barrel should handle up to 60gr pretty well, with the right load.... I have a Remington .223 that will give me 1.25" groups at 200 yards with them...

I've never tried the 40gr on anything bigger than Prairie Dogs due to fear of run offs..They are pretty devastating on those...I usually load soft points for general hunting...

I have used the 40 grain v-max in my 223. They are a little rough on foxes. I actually took the rear leg completely off one. I first thought the fox was missing a leg but found the leg lying nearby.

Originally Posted By: avidhunterI am using 40 grain v max factory loaded ammo. I do not reload but I have a friend that is willing to for me if it will help out. so you shoot 55 grain bullets out of your 1:12 twist accuitly? what are your groups like at 100 yards?

A half inch at 100 yards 5 shot groups are not hard to do. It likes the 55 grain load and the 50 grain load (same powder, same powder charge) the same. I will tell you that I DO prefer to shoot 40 grain Vmaxes out of it simply because most critters that I shoot with this gun weigh in in ounces so it makes it easier to see the bullet hits and man oh man- I do like to see those bullet hits.

Ok. Since I plan to keep pelts of the foxes and coyotes I shoot. Will this 40 grain v max destroy them? Should I be shooting something else for coyote and fox? If so, what do you all recommend?

I've not had good success on coyotes with the 40gr Vmax. More splash wounds than I care for, especially in a calling situation where they are looking at me. A 55gr Sierra Gameking works much better for me.

They sure must have improved the 40g.v-max since your last post in 2010, that bullet is a devastating killing machine in my .223, the only splash I have ever seen is a 3\8 hole the v-max made when it entered a 1\4 thick steel silhouette at a hundred yards!, yah I don't care about the fur, one shot one kill

Most of the coyotes I kill are with the 223 40gr. V-Max... Golf and tennis ball size holes when it splashes... I think it is very lethal on coyotes... I think bobcats have softer hides and the ones I have shot with the 40gr don't splash like on coyotes...

Originally Posted By: RustydustWhat load are you using in your CZ? I have the same gun and 26 grains of Varget with a 55 grain Nosler shoots wonderful in my gun. Matter of fact, it shoots just as good in my 1/14 twist rifles too. That will be the very load that I use on coyote next time that I am going if taking that gun. +1 I've even shot up to 64gr. Winchester in my CZ, actually it's hard to find a load that doesn't shoot well in the CZ 527 223. I do know if uve taken the gun apart before, be sure the trigger guard assembly fits all the way up into the magazine cut out when u reassemble or it will not shoot anything well. It's very tedious and frustrating sometimes but u must make sure it completely seats all the way in to the cut out. Often times u will think it's in all the way when it's not. This will cause u to have major problems. Double check this first.

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes they will do a number on coyotes and foxes. They will kill them without a problem. However the maxes as devastating as they are have always done a lot of damage especially on quartering shot. I used to shoot a 58 gr Vmax out of my .243 with great accuracy and they would put the dogs down. However, quartering shots would just rip them up. I have switched to the 55 grain sierra blitz King, and they have a thicker jacket and aren't so explosive but kill them just is dead. I would try the 40 grain Sierra's If your heart is set on the 40 grain bullet.

tons of hyperboly here about one bullet vs another.

Nothing wrong with either, and the 40gr vmax is a fine choice as long as it shoots well in your rifle and gives you the accuracy you seek.

Just remember that most of the people that give advice on bullets don't skin.

Not big fan of plastic tip bullets for fur...... But like Acronin posted above the blitz kings do an acceptable job on fur in my limited experience.

I shoot and skin for the pelts,for coyotes inside 250 yards with velocities 3000-3200 at the muzzle the 50 gr Hornady sx is great small entrance no exit. If you are calling at night carry a shotgun loaded with bb's for the Fox. The centerfire 22 is to much gun for fox pelts. The coyote load will work for bigger raccoon.

Back