?? Sabre defense 204 ruger??

tncathunter

I'm very new to the AR's. Got my first one a few months ago ( rock river predator pursuit 20 in) love it. Found a used sabre defense 204 upper with unknown round count. Does anybody have one of these and if so what do you think of it and since the 204 is a fast round do they wear on the barrel like the 22-250 and 220 swift?? Thanks for any help and advise.

I have a 22" rifle gassed Black Hole barrel with 1:10" in 204Ruger AR, it's their "national match" profile so it's heavy under the handguard, but 0.750" gas block. It's rather well balanced with a 15" Troy Alpha rail and JP low profile gas block. I did some digging before I ordered my barrel, I went with the 1:10" because I wanted to be able to run the 40grn pills comfortably, maybe even up to the 55's.

The 204R is the assembled rifle, the 18" lone upper is a 6.8SPC.

BDCD2468-A174-4E8F-99D9-570F4AA706A0_zpswzirk6ig.jpg

Without optics, no charging handle, no BCG, there's a touch over $650 in that 204R upper. I spent a bit of extra money on an adjustable low profile gas block, and a bit extra on the handguard, otherwise, it's a $50 overstocked stripped upper and DPMS upper parts. The BHW barrel was just under $300 itself. I'm hard pressed to buy anything used, so for $500, I'd just build my own. If you consider that I could have saved $30 on a cheaper gas block, $50 on a cheaper handguard, and maybe $50-100 on a cheaper barrel, then you'd end up less than that $500 for a NEW upper, not a used one.

My experience so far with the 204R is that it does NOT wear on barrels like the 22-250 or 220swift. Even with those two, unless you're shooting colony varmints, the barrel life is quite good. Comparatively, the 204R runs a lot less powder than either of those large case 22cals. It's a smaller bore diameter too, and still high pressure, but it just doesn't seem to have picked up any reputation as a barrel burner, and my experience agrees with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarminterrorI have a 22" rifle gassed Black Hole barrel with 1:10" in 204Ruger AR, it's their "national match" profile so it's heavy under the handguard, but 0.750" gas block. It's rather well balanced with a 15" Troy Alpha rail and JP low profile gas block. I did some digging before I ordered my barrel, I went with the 1:10" because I wanted to be able to run the 40grn pills comfortably, maybe even up to the 55's.

The 204R is the assembled rifle, the 18" lone upper is a 6.8SPC.

BDCD2468-A174-4E8F-99D9-570F4AA706A0_zpswzirk6ig.jpg

Without optics, no charging handle, no BCG, there's a touch over $650 in that 204R upper. I spent a bit of extra money on an adjustable low profile gas block, and a bit extra on the handguard, otherwise, it's a $50 overstocked stripped upper and DPMS upper parts. The BHW barrel was just under $300 itself.

My experience so far with the 204R is that it does NOT wear on barrels like the 22-250 or 220swift. Even with those two, unless you're shooting colony varmints, the barrel life is quite good. Comparatively, the 204R runs a lot less powder than either of those large case 22cals. It's a smaller bore diameter too, and still high pressure, but it just doesn't seem to have picked up any reputation as a barrel burner, and my experience agrees with that.

Very sweet looking rigs you have there, I can tell you they will spin the 40 grainers nicely. Maybe even a 50 grainer if you can find some. But not a 55 grainer.

I have shot out 3 barrels on .204 Ruger bolt guns shooting p-dogs. The amount of rounds one needs to expend to toast a .204 Ruger barrel is way more than most people would think.

Let's put it this way, my brother and I both sent CZ 527s to Kevin Weaver for new Lilja barrels last winter. When I counted the brass that had been through both guns combined, I had 700 pieces of brass that had been fired 9 times, another 200 that had been fired 4 times, and about 200 once fired.

Those barrels had been subjected to a ton of abuse. We shot them way too hot with the never ending, "My barrel is hot I'll just shoot one more round".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnkenyI have shot out 3 barrels on .204 Ruger bolt guns shooting p-dogs. The amount of rounds one needs to expend to toast a .204 Ruger barrel is way more than most people would think.

Let's put it this way, my brother and I both sent CZ 527s to Kevin Weaver for new Lilja barrels last winter. When I counted the brass that had been through both guns combined, I had 700 pieces of brass that had been fired 9 times, another 200 that had been fired 4 times, and about 200 once fired.

Those barrels had been subjected to a ton of abuse. We shot them way too hot with the never ending, "My barrel is hot I'll just shoot one more round".

Yeah, those 204's sound like real barrel burners! A guy wouldn't even make it through a break in period if they burn out after 3,650 rounds over a colony!

what kind of life are you getting out of your barrels. Been contemplating a build, just nervous about a nice barrel going kaput to early

Back