6.5 Creedmoor antelope bullet

Acronin

I didn't know if this is the right forum for this question, if not, I'll delete it. I reload for many calibers, one of them being the 6.5 Creedmoor. I plan on using it on antelope this fall in Wyoming (unit 29). I was planning on using the 140gr Amax at 2717 fps muzzle velocity. The main reason is the amount of wind that I've been told you have to deal with out there. Is this a good bullet for the purpose? Is there something else I should try?

I shoot 2-3 antelope every year with just an 80-87g bullet in my 6x45/243/6x6.8 so your amax will have no issues in the 6.5.
Ive yet to have to shoot past 244 yards, but I will say shoot the 6.5 and have your dial ups or cheat chart at least to 700 yards....just in case. Make sure you have wind drift notes from 5-25 mph to cover yourself if it does happen to be breezy when you get here.

87g vmax is this years bullet for my antelope shooting in my new 6x6.8 build. The high BC is why Im going to give it a shot this year.
Ive shot them w/the 95g nosler HBT, 85g sierra gkhp, 80g tsx & ttsx, 80g speer jsp.
The 243 is really just a back up to my 6x45 & 6x6.8 builds.
Usually the winds are not blowing or over 5-15 mph during antelope...& that depends on the area.
Zone 29 aint far from me in zone 38.

Goats fall down dead if you curse at them, pretty much anything that goes boom and is legal to shoot, will be a good bullet. I'm partial to the tsx/ttsx line for just about anything.

The distance is what gets most people new to the area. My closest was with a 30-06 at about 25 yards, my longest also with a 30-06 was 640 by laser. Most are in the 300-400 yard range. I don't feel like doing the belly crawl through weeds and cactus to get a goat
laugh.gif

I've used nothing but a 25-06 100'ish grain on deer and goats the last few years, retired the 30 for more interesting calibers.

Back