Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 vs Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 How do they compare?

I'm looking at these two scopes for a lightweight calling AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. Does anyone here have experience with both of these scopes? They seem to be similarly priced. I do a lot of calling at night with red lights. I have a Swarovski AV 4-12x50 and have been very happy with that for the same purpose. I'm mostly curious about the low light capabilities of the Nightforce as compared to the Swaro.

Can't compare it to Swarovski, but the Nightforce works quite well for me right at dark. I had a coyote hang up a ways in the brush howling and barking at me every time I'd play a call. This was right at dusk, and I kept the call playing while I tried sneaking up to it. It eventually got too dark out to continue, I felt comfortable knowing if I had shot on it that it wouldn't have been a problem. At the end I actually looked through it to scan as it seemed easier to see than with just my eyesight. [beeep] thing raised [beeep] the whole time but I couldn't find him. I do believe it was him I shot on Wednesday when I went back out, so it's cautious attitude that day bought him a couple months.

But anyways..

I don't hunt at night so I can't comment on that either.

I'm very satisfied with this scope, not sure if it helps you with your question though.

Here it sits on my AR..

tmp_6053-04291508311783789925_zpstfdo3odk.jpg

I don't hunt at night but even with that I think the reticle choices on the SHV aren't even good low light choices. I have the MOAR model, I love the reticle in the 3.5-15 but it doesn't show up near as well in the lower powered 3-10 SHV. I finally got a look at the IHR model I that is no low light reticle either.

Well I'm leaning towards the Swarovski since I'm familiar with it. Hopefully some more hunters that have experience behind the Nightforce will give their opinions. Thanks guys.

Nightime and calling 4 power is too much for small 100-200 yard fields..swarvo go with 2.5 model...if you play with turrets a lot when shooting id go with nightforce but swarvo has little better glass for low light..swarvo does have the bt turret.

Originally Posted By: Mr BenelliNightime and calling 4 power is too much for small 100-200 yard fields..swarvo go with 2.5 model...if you play with turrets a lot when shooting id go with nightforce but swarvo has little better glass for low light..swarvo does have the bt turret.

If you get the Micrometer Style Turret upgrade you can dial accurately with the Swarovski Z3 covered turrets. Custom ballistic knobs are also available now. PM us for details.
Micrometer Style Turrets for Swarovski Z3 Scopes

Wow, you met the right guy OP...Lol.(Ive been told I need to start doing reviews..)But me and my dad went out to the range a couple weeks ago to try my new scope(Vortex Razor II HD 1-6) at night with my clip on Armasight CO-MR Gen 2+ HD.Granted the Gen 2 NV requires a lot more of an IR source to gather light then Gen 3,but also makes a perfect low light scope baseline test.The Razor HD absolutely exceeded my expectations,as a matter of fact it edges out my NF NXS 3.5-15x.200 yard shots on 8" plates were like plinking in the day.Afterwards we put it in front of my dads AR to give it a run on his SHV 3-10x, and was also impressed.He was smacking steel at 200 no problem.Its really hard to give an "exact score" on image quality,and of course pictures do no justice for NV.For the price point,the SHV CANNOT be beat.As far as matching your swaro,well they arguably have some of the best low light dispersion glass on the planet.
All about your budget,but the SHV gets the thumbs up.

You can't go wrong with either.i have several of each. I put an nxs on a heavlily used and abused rifle. It has held zero since the day i mounted it over 15 years ago. Haven't put an shv to the same test though. ?

Originally Posted By: smokemYou can't go wrong with either.i have several of each. I put an nxs on a heavlily used and abused rifle. It has held zero since the day i mounted it over 15 years ago. Haven't put an shv to the same test though. ?

Do you have a 2.5-10x42 nxs? I was curious the shv compared to it

Quote:I don't hunt at night but even with that I think the reticle choices on the SHV aren't even good low light choices. True enough. I have the MOAR and the IHR. Neither are good low light scopes due to the super fine reticle.

FWIW, according to a spokesperson at Nightforce that I spoke to about tree weeks ago, the SHV lenses are of the same manufacture and quality as the NXS scopes. When I compare the SHV to my NXS scopes, the optics are the same, the ruggedness and robustness (is that a word?) are not in the same league. Then again, I don't need a battle ready NXS that I could take scuba diving.

Back