Should we let the young dogs go?

crow sniper

I spotted a pack of coyote a few weeks ago,looked like a mature dog and a few young ones that were pretty brave,they didnt run ,just kinda hid in the weeds.
Should we kill them all or have mercy on the smaller ones?

I hunt for sport, let the little ones grow up a bit during the summer and chase them this winter. Not much challenge in flattening babies!

Originally Posted By: crapshootPersonal decision you will have to make for yourself.

Sound advice.

Everyone has his or her own reason for killing them all this time of year, or certain ones or none at all. For me personally, I let them all walk. I have had a nursing female visit my bait site a few times and I could have shot her, but I know pups are either in the den or very young. I don't have live stock, so I'm not under pressure to shoot her or any. I do know coyotes can be tough on deer fawns. A neighbor has different ideas and kills them all any time of year, including pups. We all have our own reasons.

Still, I can't bring myself to shoot a female when I know she has pups. That's just me and my decision. I would love to drop the hammer on one right now, but instead have been enjoying videoing them at night. Hopefully a time will come later this fall/winter when I have some opportunities.

My thoughts: Go with your inner feeling, and that will be the right choice for you.

Video allows me to stay in the game somewhat during the summer months. Here is a coyote I videoed a few nights ago. It would have been an easy kill at 60 yards and under. The night was very dark and the home-made night vision outfit allowed me to see like daylight.

Not a question i would ask !

A945BC25-94AA-4052-8DA8-BEA473BA24A9-14803-00002CCBCD7F1A45_zps709g3qqu.jpg

null_zps900e1643.jpg

null_zpsbe4ac498.jpg

Strictly a personal choice. If you think you will have a negative effect on coyote numbers, forget that because hunting them will not diminish their numbers. They have been trapped, dogged, shot from helicopters, poisoned, and chased with snowmobiles, and their numbers keep increasing. This is especially true if you only hunt the daylight hours.

I look at it from a slightly different perspective in that...........I'll never pass up an opportunity at some "live" target practice. Gotta stay sharp.
That being said, in my short time in the hobby I have yet to see a truly lil one come trotting out.

Last edited:
I know it's a personal decision but as a rancher I would of course "appreciate" every dead coyote so if i see one, size doesn't really! Most this time of year are "drive by" but I at least make the effort to try to inflict some lead poisoning!

Homemade night vision??? Willing to share how you did that? Good quality whatever you did to make it yourself.

Very interested in how you did this.

I don't shoot the pups or if I know it's a female with pups. I could care less if they kill every deer alive. I have no problem with people gassing dens and killing every one they can though.

Originally Posted By: SteeliemonMIHomemade night vision??? Willing to share how you did that? Good quality whatever you did to make it yourself.

SteeliemonMI, for starters you can take a look at the YouTube video in the link below . This is where I got he idea. I have modified mine just a bit, but it's essentially the same deal.

If you would like a complete Word document with an explanation of how to do it, along with links to parts, send me a personal mail with an e-mail address where I can attach the Word document. It may sound complicated, but really it's pretty darn easy to do and cheap also. It flat out works and is great for bait site hunting, but with care could be used out and about when calling.

Originally Posted By: SteeliemonMIHomemade night vision??? Willing to share how you did that? Good quality whatever you did to make it yourself.

Me too, 6mm. Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

Edit to add: Guess I'm gonna have to learn to type faster.
lol.gif
Thanks for the link.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Me too, 6mm. Perhaps you could start a new thread in regard to your project. Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

HM, I may get a thread going on the home-made deal if everyone wants it. I guess I'm kind-of reluctant to take too much credit for it, for the design since it's not mine. I give credit where it's due, and that is to Rolaids NV 1.0 on Youtube. Roland has a lot of other videos too of home-made projects. All are good.

I have had a lot of guys ask me how to do this and I did put together a Word document with explanations and links, along with some photos. As long as Roland get the credit for it all then I'm OK with it.

You can see other night vision videos I have done on YouTube if you wish, at 6mm064.

Originally Posted By: jf1073I look at it from a slightly different perspective in that...........I'll never pass up an opportunity at some "live" target practice. Gotta stay sharp.
That being said, in my short time in the hobby I have yet to see a truly lil one come trotting out.

Oh I could show you a pic of one but the last time I posted it, I got burned at the stake.
When I first started calling and for probably the 5 yrs or so following i had the killem all mentality. As I got older and more years of calling and killing under my belt, I now let them grow up. But I do so for selfish reasons. I want more to call and kill later in the year when I don't have to sweat my sack off doing so.
I'm also hunting for fun and not to appease a rancher or landowner.

Went back out this eve and saw about six dogs in all,one was mature,i didnt shoot any.
Heres a couple pics of one on a rockpile at about 300 yards,scruffy little dog.
722130da76d13c9e853538014e9e15e9.jpg

811aa4efd9c14edc05267a8d50744f27.jpg

Kill kill kill in my opinion, I would like too see more quail rabbits deer turkeys something to keep around when crap get real and you need to eat lol yotes not so much

Back