Johnny Stewart E Call - Predator 2

JBinMontana

Need your opinions here on this one as I'm looking to getting some calls and this one is at my local sporting goods store.

Johnny Stewart Predator 2 - cottontail distress, coyote howl, coyote pup distress, fawn distress and jack vittles for $39.99

save your money and get something better. No I do not have any experiance with the Predator 2 but my experiance comes from my dad. He has bought 2 cass creek calls, the Johnny stewart pm-3, then the pm 4 and now his Foxpro Spitfire arrived. spent hundreds of dollars before I got him to just buy a Foxpro. He thought i was crazy buying a $700.00 foxpro but now look at all the money he's wasted buying cheap call after cheap call.

t/c223encore.

Originally Posted By: t/c223encore. spent hundreds of dollars before I got him to just buy a Foxpro. He thought i was crazy buying a $700.00 foxpro but now look at all the money he's wasted buying cheap call after cheap call.

t/c223encore.

+1

J B I believe you are talkin about the sound card for the Johnny Stewart call, which tells me you already have the johnny stewart. I have that same card, in fact it's the one I use the most when I do use that call system. Are you having any luck with you're johnny stewart ? Me.... not much. I've had mine for two years and it's called in 1 coyote. To be fair to the call I dont use it that much, just dont have any confidence in it. Any way the cottontail distress on that card dont sound bad.

I think the price is a little high. For a while I could buy the sound cards for $7 - $15. Then the PM-4 came out and the price went up. I dont know if I have the Predator 2 but I do have one with the vittles a al jack on it. That sound has called in a lot of coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Kendo J B I believe you are talkin about the sound card for the Johnny Stewart call, which tells me you already have the johnny stewart. I have that same card, in fact it's the one I use the most when I do use that call system. Are you having any luck with you're johnny stewart ? Me.... not much. I've had mine for two years and it's called in 1 coyote. To be fair to the call I dont use it that much, just dont have any confidence in it. Any way the cottontail distress on that card dont sound bad.

No, I don't have this yet... I wanted to pick some brains before I invest any money in calls. This happen to be on the shelf at a local sporting goods store for $39.99. It was this one that Cabelas has http://www.cabelas.com/p-0039768228121a.shtml

The do have a the more expensive e-calls which I think I will lean towards anyway based on the more knowledgable hunters here.

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kendo Huh that's not what I thought you were talkin about, never seen one of those. sorry bout that.

Kendo, no harm no foul as I raised the question without posting a link in original post. I turned this one on in the store and it just sounded great, has 50 yard wireless remote. I think I will just save my money for a Fox Pro and work with some of the others like the Howler and Rabbit type squeeker.

I have one of those Johnny Stewart Predator 2 e-calls, havent had no luck with it, doesnt sound very good also when you turn up the volume, and you cant turn it up on the remote which sucks also...

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaI have one of those Johnny Stewart Predator 2 e-calls, havent had no luck with it, doesnt sound very good also when you turn up the volume, and you cant turn it up on the remote which sucks also...

Thanks for that feed back, just what I was looking for saves me some $$ in trying this out.

I guess theres one in every crowd but... I've had good luck with the JS Attractor in Predator-1. I have no experience with the Predator-2... but its the same caller... just different sounds.

I did'nt get into predator hunting until last December... so I was a little hesitant to drop a lot of coin on a e-caller. In my opinion their a good intro e-caller for anyone. I hunt timber primarily for yotes here in Ky. The remote works well out to about 50 yds. The sounds are good quality and volume is adequate in my opinion for the areas I hunt. Good, bad or otherwise... these little calls can & do work.

Now for the downside.... I'm hooked. Looking at going to the next level with the Foxpro Spitfire. I'm just reading reviews & gathering info from others before I place my order. So pending if you get the Predator 2...you will probably want to upgrade in the near future. More sound capabillity, volume control & being able to change sounds are some key factors to step up to different models of callers.

Heres pics of 3 of 5 total I've killed with the JS Attractor call.

lblyote2.jpg

coyote2.jpg

coyote5.jpg

Of the cheap ones it's the best(and I tried all of them in the $40 range). I keep one in my rig just in case my FX3 goes down. The volume is limited and can not be changed remotely, but for the money its a good caller.
Using it, I would start with hand calls (for volume) to get their attention and the caller to draw their attention away from you. When it was my full time caller that's the set up that I used. Hope that helps, ignore the nay sayers and get what you can afford and upgrade when you can. Can't afford a good one is no reason not to play.......

P.S. I agree with JD on the Spitfire. That is the logical next step. In the under $200 I see two good options the Spitfire and the Attractors, but that's just one addicts opinion
smile.gif

JD and Boomy thanks for the feed back here, and seeing the pictures along with the nicely mannered yotes is results no one can argue with.

Thanks again

I thought you were talking about the sound card also. The call is actually called the Attractor. The predator 2 would be for the sound selection.

JD, thanks for the pics. I always enjoy seeing the success, when used properly, that our products can bring users.

JB, that call is designed to be used in short range, less windy conditions. It is not intended to be your primary call unless outdoor conditions will allow for that. I have called many a predator that runs right smack up to it, focusing their attention on the call not the user. One of the Attractors strengths is that it can give you the 50 yard distraction and advantages of remote for only $39.95. Combined with the use of other higher volume, non remote primary playback devices ( cassette callers, non remote PreyMaster 1, Mouthcalls)it can be an alternative to $200+ e-callers.

I view it as an accessory to your other methods of primary calls and additionally, when combined with a power booster....a decent primary call. It can also be viewed as a stepping stone to growing into higher priced calls later, that can not be afforded in the immediate.

gs of course is right as usual (we're not worthy we're not worthy) i had one used along with pm3 ky dogs are a little tougher than dogs i ve hunted in other states(ok,in,fl,ga,ks,) i gave mine to a kid that i took hunting a few times that his dad thought predator hunting is a waste of time. he has a farm that was loaded with fox he uses it alone for fox and hand calls. i have also thought of trading up from my pm3 to foxpro spitfire but with the quality of service i have received from HS i dont think i can my go to pm4 since already have alot of extra sound cards.

All new to me. I hope to have my gun the first of August. I have been researching shooting and Coyote hunting for 6 month. My rig and case is pretty steep in price. What caller would you get on a tight budget? Tight now but could swing a better caller the first of the year. Would you try the manual call for now or just wait and start hunting Coyote in 6 months? Ralphie

Ralphie said:
All new to me. I hope to have my gun the first of August. I have been researching shooting and Coyote hunting for 6 month. My rig and case is pretty steep in price. What caller would you get on a tight budget? Tight now but could swing a better caller the first of the year. Would you try the manual call for now or just wait and start hunting Coyote in 6 months?

I own the same 1. I also use hand calls. Trust me "you get what you pay for". I feel It sounds good, But I can't stand how I can not control the volume... If you choose to try hand calls GET them now and practice till you annoy yourself! I used too turkey hunt so I find diaphragms fairly easy. Check out the hand call forums. I own several Production calls and bought my 1st custom call this year!!! WOW what a difference in sound!! I vote wait till the !st and get a "better" caller!

Back