Just another prairie dog trip. Not boring yet.

Rustydust

Leaving in a few days for eastern Wyoming and few days to deflating prairie dogs. Meeting up with hunting friend Dave (1up5down) from West Virginia. From where I live in Idaho I can drive it one day. If I leave early enough in the morning I can be shooting dogs that afternoon. I'd be tuckered but I could do it. Done it for years. Buddy Dave coming from the very eastern part of W Virginia and if him and his family drive straight though take them about a day and a half. Long haul for sure. BUT this year we are staying at the ranch itself instead of at a motel in town. Just wake in the morning and grab a quick breakfast and after filling up my half gallon thermos with coffee heading out for day of uninterrupted pasture pup blasting. Likely be our last trip here due to the fact that the ranch manager and his wife will be moving soon and do not know what may happen next year so we sure hope this year will be a good one. Sure do hope.

Taking my laptop so hope to keep you all informed as usual how it goes. Dave will be sending some pictures after we get back I suppose. If it is as good as last year we are really in for a good time. And a good time is, after all, why we go year after year. A good time for us anyway. Not such a good time for a couple thousand prairie dogs I hope.

I'm jealous, but I hope you have a GREAT time!
thumbup1.gif

Eric
cool.gif

Thank Eric, but dont be jealous! Load you up a couple of thousand rounds of ammo, and go do it. If you got at least two or three good accurate centerfires and a .22 rimfire (for walking around potting them) and lots of ammo for them all then just about anyone that can spare a week can do it. I am retired now but before I was I planned one week of vacation every year for prairie dogging. Not that hard to do and as they say- it's just too much fun!

I'm jealous, because I'm not leaving for another MONTH!! We won't have the numbers you'll see where we go, but it will be still be fun!
thumbup.gif

I will look for your updates!

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerI'm jealous, because I'm not leaving for another MONTH!!

Ah. Well, at least you are going. And you never know about the number of dogs that you will have to shoot at. Been years that I went and (no kidding!) got off less than 100 rounds. Poisoning and the plague killed most before we got there. Then there was last year where we sat in one spot taking turns shooting and spotting and not only shot all day long but went back to the very same spot again next day and shot all day long again. We stopped only long enough for quick snacks and Pepsi and back at it. Bliss. Then a day or so later moved to a spot where we could get some 800+ yard shots in (no, I did not get any that far but close) with Dave's 6mm SLR. Sure glad I had my 45X spotting scope as there was no way to see misses or hits that far with a pair of 8X binos.

Always get pretty excited the last few days before I go on one of these. Some years are better than others of course, but if this year is anywhere near as good as last then I can hardly wait to get started.

Rusty, hoping you all have a heck of a shoot up there.

I was out at day break today & called it quits after about 3 hrs as the wind was just not nice. Sunday is another day...no rush from me.

Originally Posted By: 5spd

I was out at day break today & called it quits after about 3 hrs as the wind was just not nice. Sunday is another day...no rush from me.

You betcha. Sure nice to live where you do for that very reason. Go when the conditions are good and when they are not find something else to do. And for sure, I have been out when it was so windy thumbtacks would not have held my hat on my head. But still, better than sitting at home in my Lazyboy with a clicker in my hand. I got time to do that when I get old(er).
smile.gif

We are heading out this coming Saturday for our annual prairie dog trip,been going to the Oklahoma panhandle for over 35 years.Some years are better than others concerning the numbers of prairie dogs but all are lot's of fun.I have shot from 800 rounds a day down to 400 for a four day shoot but always have a good time.Looking forward to another good time this year as the numbers are up according to my sources.

Driving all day to shoot dogs can make a person pretty tired but for some reason when I see dogs and the rifle comes out I'm just like new again totally re-invigerated if you know what i mean.
have a good trip

Originally Posted By: wickaDriving all day to shoot dogs can make a person pretty tired but for some reason when I see dogs and the rifle comes out I'm just like new again totally re-invigerated.

Boy aint that the truth? I can be half dead from driving 12-13 hours in my little Nissan PU but as soon as I see pasture poodles I get a jolt of wake-up and I am ready to do some big time shooting. Funny how that works, eh?

Hey Rusty
I went to Billings MT and shot and exploded dogs all day long in 90 degree weather for two days it was a blast. 3 rifles varmint/coyote AR-15 223 22-250 and 6x284 . Next year the 6x284 will stay home or be rebarreled into something smaller.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ironworkerHey Rusty
I went to Billings MT and shot and exploded dogs all day long in 90 degree weather for two days it was a blast.

Good going and good for you! It is a lot of fun and why I go back year after year. I really look forward to it. Three days to go for me!

And I usually take a .22 handgun, .17 HMR, .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .223 AR-15, .223 AI, .221 Fireball, a 22-250 and a .220 Swift. This year I am going to trim it down a bit but take extra ammo for what I do bring. I enjoy spotting for my buddy almost as much as I do blowing them up. Almost.

Dang Rusty, did your laptop quit?? Been anticipating your daily chronicals, or are there so many PP's that you are to tired to report in. he he he. Know you are having a blast and that is what counts.
Hopefully you aren't getting rained out.
Will be waiting for your trials and tribulations when you get home.

Last edited:
Back