Favorite AR trigger

Whats your favorite trigger for the AR platform? I'm needing one for a rifle that I plan to use for longer range varmints and I will probably use to punch paper as well. I currently own a Geissele SSA-E trigger and I like it a lot, but I just didn't know if there would be something better out there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hard to say really as there are a bunch of good ones.

I got a Chip McCormick for my AR-15 because a competition shooter that I know thought that was the one to buy. I sure cannot say he was wrong as after I got used to it (two stage trigger pull) I loved it. Be really hard for me not to recommend it but ask 20 different shooter that have 20 different triggers and I bet you get 20 different answers.

I like many manufactures but i "usually" stick with Timney becuase i like what they stand for. But i have many others to include jewel and geissele.

I have Rock River National Match triggers in the two AR's that are finished, and I'm planning to put the same trigger in my 6.5 Grendel build.

the best I have tried is the geisselle high speed match rifle. set to 2# first stage and 1# break. that is just a little higher than factory specs for that trigger. it also requires careful tuning of the sear engagement.

if your cheap just get a RRA varmint trigger, which is different than the NM. they are normally less than 90.

Originally Posted By: NChunter89Whats your favorite trigger for the AR platform? I'm needing one for a rifle that I plan to use for longer range varmints and I will probably use to punch paper as well. I currently own a Geissele SSA-E trigger and I like it a lot, but I just didn't know if there would be something better out there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
That Geissele will be hard to beat, I have one and feel it's equal to my Jewel.

I'm a fan of RRA triggers. Granted, I haven't shot a Geissele or Timney but I've been so happy with the RRA triggers I've used that I can't bring myself to spend $200+ on anything else. After all, if you're getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards and like the triggers...

I appreciate the responses so far. Some of the ones suggested I need to do a little research on. On a Side note, has anyone tested a Velocity trigger yet? Seems like a good buy if they perform well.

For strictly varmint/ target shooting, I'd have to say AR Gold. I've had 5 different triggers at one time or another and for target shooting, that's the way I'd go. I felt it is a bit light for a calling rifle though and I prefer a single stage with no take up for calling.
Choosing a trigger is very personal though. No one can tell you what you'll like. This is one area not to try and save money in my opinion.

Good luck with it.

My safe houses Geiselle NM 2 stages, RRA NM and Varmint 2 stages (some with JP springs), Bushmaster NM 2 stages, Mil-specs, and Mil-spec's with JP springs.

The Geiselle is the one I WANT on all of my AR's. I HAVE the others because of the price on the Geiselle. Light, smooth, crisp... Just a bit pricey.

EDIT: I'm a 2 stage guy. I wish every rifle I owned had 2 stage triggers.

Last edited:
Back