Prairie dogs. 223 and bullets?

Matt N.

Just wondering what is your favorite bullet weight and bullet is for prairie dogs using a 223, and why?

Thanks.
Matt

I like the 50 grainers myself. Preferably the Nosler Ballistic Tips with the Hornady Vmax a close second. I get plenty good speed with them, they are accurate, and as far as the Noslers go, I can get factory seconds from time to time which keeps the cost down.

Because I use the same loads for ground squirrels (most of the time anyway) and the price of 50 grain bullets is the same as 40 grain ones are I just use the same bullet weight all the time. I have taken plenty of prairie dogs with my little .221 Fireball using 40 grain bullets and they really blow up good too, but for larger cases I prefer the 50 grain bullet.

And dont let anyone tell you that you need heavier bullets for longer range kills. That 700+ yard kill in my avatar (and three others over 680 yards- all right there together) was done with my .223 AI and the 50 grain Nosler. I guess that you could say that I'm a fan.

50g vmax has been my got to for as long as they came out.
50g jsp before that.
speer 52g tnt are super, same with remingtons 50g jhp
50 g dog towns, 50g varmint night mares...heck they are all good/accurate bullets.

The 55 grain hp dogtown from mid south is my go to bullet for prairie dogs as we'll.They are good to 600 yards and usually shoot better than I can

I like the 55 grain Noslers. I choose this because of the BC and where I hunt it is usually windy.
The 50 grain is a close second because of the accuracy that I get with them.

Vmax is a second choice and that is just a personal choice.

If I wasn't trying to reach way out there and if all my shooting was going to be 200 yds or less, I'd use 40 grainers for their higher velocity, either Vmax or Blitzkings.

If I was looking to stretch the legs of a 223 on PD towns, it'd be 53Vmax first choice with 55 Blitzking's a real close second.

I like Nosler BT bullets but they're a little thicker jacketed bullet and may not have the same "explosive splat" factor on thin skinned critters like PDogs that the Vmax or Blitzking has.

Another option, if you aren't looking to reach way out there, would be Varmint Grenades. They'd put on a good show while smacking PDogs.

Last edited:
40 grain vmax. 26.3 grains of benchmark or 28.2 of blc(2). Really seem to get some great acrobatics with those combinations. 52 grain Speer (with the big hollow points) are excellent as well. Great sound upon impact with those babies
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: Matt N.How about 50 grain TNTs? Anyone use those anymore? yes, these and benchmark are a very deadly combination. I love how well these group.

Back