Ohio semi truck overturns on highway spewing 2200 pigs

Fursniper

Originally Posted By: Fox NewsA semi tractor-trailer overturned Monday night into an embankment outside Dayton, Ohio, killing about half of the 2,200 piglets on board and sending hundreds of survivors fleeing into the nearby woods.

The Dayton Daily News reported that officials responded to the scene and found some animals crushed or suffocated. Other surviving piglets may have to be euthanized due to stress, the report said.

"There's quite a few pigs that got out and ran from the accident," a fire official told WLWT.com. "They're in the woods. I don't think we'll ever get all of them."

Several police and fire agencies from surrounding areas round up the piglets, who scattered into a wooded area by the site of the road. The recovered animals were taken to nearby fairgrounds to be given water by volunteers. The paper reported that the surviving pigs were taken early Tuesday morning to their destination.

The scene on State Route 35 was chaotic. Police said there was a sense of urgency because the piglets would likely attract hungry coyotes.

WXIX reported that the accident took place at around 7 p.m. Authorities say the driver of the semitrailer lost control and slammed into a guardrail. Reports say that two people were inside the truck at the time, and the passenger was taken to an area hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

The accident closed the road for eight hours, The Dayton Daily News reported.

"If somebody finds a pig and wants to turn it in, call the local law enforcement and we’ll try to take care of it," Fire Chief Dean Fox told the paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/09/semi-tips-over-on-ohio-highway-setting-2200-piglets-loose/

One way to keep the mudslimes out.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisSounds like Ohio is going to soon have a Feral Hog problem........................

My sentiments exactly.

I would have liked to have witness that... Couple thousand squealing pigs... When pigs fly in all different directions...

This is about hour north of me. We have heard bunch of different stories. One I heard from farmers Wednesday was that there are roughly 200 on loose currently, but heck who knows. Either way that's a stinkin pile of piggies. Im sure coyotes had fun that night. Its mostly farm ground up there anyway.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisSounds like Ohio is going to soon have a Feral Hog problem........................

that sounds good to me.lol

What is it 4 months or 6 months of age that a sow can start breeding? Lets see 200 pigs the coyotes get maybe40 so you have 160 times 10 piglets that makes 1760 pigs by Thanksgiving day.

Originally Posted By: BearWhat is it 4 months or 6 months of age that a sow can start breeding? Lets see 200 pigs the coyotes get maybe40 so you have 160 times 10 piglets that makes 1760 pigs by Thanksgiving day.

Exactly!

Bear,
Feral Hogs are legal to take by Thermal and Night Vision in Colorado!

However, no Feral Hogs in Colorado! Brilliant!!

Originally Posted By: BearWhat is it 4 months or 6 months of age that a sow can start breeding? Lets see 200 pigs the coyotes get maybe40 so you have 160 times 10 piglets that makes 1760 pigs by Thanksgiving day.

Afraid you're rushing things there a little Bear...

IF there was 2200 of them on the truck, as reported, best case scenario with all aluminum trailer and lightweight daycab tractor he can haul about 48,000 lbs of payload, putting average pig weight at only - 21 lbs. If it's an older rig, with sleeper = heavier tractor, 40,000 lb. payload - 18 lb./pig average. Meaning they've been weaned at 3 - 4 weeks, and are headed for the feedlot.

Domestic breeders won't breed a guilt until 7-8 months, although they are capable of breeding at 4-6 months if left unchecked. However, if taken off a lot of high quality feed, a domestic hog is going to lean toward the latter, they simply won't mature as fast as a wild hog. Meaning they have at least 4-5 months of growing before they'll breed, and hogs have a 120 day gestation period, meaning they are at least 7-9 months away from having pigs.

You might have that many by Easter! Although given the fact that they are pen raised domestic pigs, barely a month old, and don't know diddly [beeep] about survival in the wild, (not to mention every farmer in the area will be gunning for them), I'd be inclined to believe the number to survive will be VERY VERY SMALL, and you'll be better off stalking fattened up predators.

Quote:"If somebody finds a pig and wants to turn it in, call the local law enforcement and we’ll try to take care of it," Fire Chief Dean Fox told the paper.

I sure wouldn't turn it in to law enforcement; I might turn it into sausage or bar-b-que! But not law enforcement!!

since they are referring to them as piglets, it might have been a load of SEW (segregated early weaned) piglets, and they would only weigh around 10 pounds a piece.... they have special designed trailers for them

if they are only that big there likelihood of any of them surviving very long is not too good.

I've seen the trailers hauling piglets, not sure how they could fit 2200 on a load. I have a feeling that it may be over estimated on paperwork for insurance purposes.

A semi can hold 2200 head of the SEW piglets. They would be in 10-15# range and survivorship will be extremely low, most likely 1-2% or less. The males will all have been castrated so they would have to find a intact male some wherever to breed on.

Bottom line most will die very soon from exposure, lack of feed and water. There really won't even be much food for a coyote .

The California law makers found out about this accident and made up a new law.

Now it is illegal for piglets to leave the scene of an accident.

Originally Posted By: RHR3Just as well. Y'all just THINK y'all want hogs up there. Trust me ...you don't.

We have several pockets of feral hogs in Ohio already. Mostly in the southern counties. I've been to SC to hunt feral hogs and I've seen first hand the damage they can do. They can be hunted 24/7, 365 in Ohio.

We have too many hunters per acre in Ohio (1 for every 44 acres of land) for feral hogs to ever really get out of hand here. So no worries. Sure there are a few around but on opening day of gun season 350,000 hunters descend on the country side and kills everything that moves.

Back