I shot Blondie on the 4th of July !

Pa. Mick

I shot Blondie on the 4th of July !
29 lb. female

I really hadn't figured on hunting ........but i did just purchase my new hunting license earlier in the day. Wifey went to sleep and it was really really nice out. It was just after 12am as i neared my first chosen set for the start of the wee hours of the morning.

I can't believe it, my new license is still sitting where i left it at home. Back home i go and upon arriving i decide to go in the opposite direction for my first set. Looking a little overcast and that helped hide the full moon at times. Light wind from the South. First set of eyes i think were from a raccoon sneaking in the knee high corn.

My second set found me hunting a favorite spot where i dropped a couple earlier this year. As i crossed the partially picked string bean field i was getting excited about the already bailed hayfield with some standing hay to the West. After 20 minutes of no shows i start to head for the road to be stopped by some barking in the standing hay. Another 15 minutes was all i could stand knowing he was there and didn't show himself. I normally have more patience than that but another spot was calling me.

My third and final set was at another hot spot. After 20 minutes of baby kitten wining i fired off a couple female howls. WOW that did it ! The whole pack sounded off very close ! I could hear that real deep old male howl, in with the others. I passed on the shot on him when i took out his mate during the winter. Going back to the kitten did the trick. I could see her coming. She seemed to be stopping and starting. Getting closer all the time. I changed my stool position to face her head on. Turn on my lighted red dot on my Vortex hog scope. Wait for her, wait for her, i light her up ! All i can see is eyes. She is over a slight knoll in the field. I shut the shooting light off. Play with the volume some more screwing with her head. I can't wait anymore as she is moving in, i light her up again. She is now stopped on the crest of the knoll. Longgggg shot for me. I quickly crank the 12 power all the way up. 250 +++++ maybe 300 paces. The red dot is on her chest and the 204 sends it. She spun and was gone............DRT. At 4 am i started my July 4th off with a BANG .

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY & THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE SERVED & ARE NOW SERVING !!!!!!

DFF03ED7-E419-4875-9557-8F1F1B250A0A-14506-00002BA136743AED_zpsopu5frfx.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good story and good shooting. I also went to the woods on the forth but my story is a little different. I went mid day knowing the chance of calling anything was slim but I wanted to get out. It was overcast and cool. I hung the caller in an old cedar and sat some distance away at a big oak. I played pup distress. After a few minutes I heard something coming up over the hill out of a steep hollow. It was a big coon and he whooped the tar out of my caller. He was growling and really mad. He jumped up and grabbed the bag the caller was in and really gave it a good whooping. Funniest thing I have seen lately.

Back