How light weight can you go???

spiderman

How light weight can you get an AR with a 20 inch barrel? What are the diameters /dimensions of the barrel you give as an example? And what lower . I want a light weight carry gun for hunting coons in the daytime. They are making some uppers in .17 WSM but they are full bull barrels and weigh in at around 13 lbs and that is too much for me . Wondering how much it could be cut down to with barrel turned down and if that would affect accuracy much ? Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Are you talking about turning down a 17wsm? I think the thinnest gas blocks are .625 diameter. At 20" long you will have a whip. Skinny barrels heat up quicker, so I guess if it's just a hunting rig it wouldn't matter much. I suppose you could get a composite lower and go from there. Not sure on the weight though. Sounds like a lot of expense for little return to me.

One of my ARs is around 6lbs with optic, but for a 16" barrel. To go lighter I would have to spend a lot more money. If you have the funds you can get really light weight.

I know someone that has built an AR in 6.8 with a 16" barrel that weighs 3.5lbs

Send a PM if interested and I can send you a link.

Mine weighs under 4.63lbs with no mount or scope. Weighs 5.73lbs with a Leupold VXR scope and using a 16" 6.8 Wilson Combat SS barrel. It's just as accurate as any gun I own which means under MOA at 100yds:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2835383

Not sure about a .17 WSM though but a pencil barrel would be the lightest profile.

Good Luck

Back