Berger VLD seating depth?

Scalloper

I have tried reloading for 3 different calibers using Berger 140 VLD bullets. .270, 7mm Mag, and 264 WM. I have been working on my 264 for the last two weeks off and on with unacceptable results. I have had very nice 4 shot groups of .475 @ 200yds using 140 gr A-MAX with 63gr H4831sc and coal of 3.304. But I was not happy with the performance for a hunting bullet, which they are not. So I keep trying VLd bullets but 1.1" or so at 100 yds is about the best I have had so far. The Berger book recommends a coal of 3.340. Using 63.5 gr of H4831sc I am getting groups of over 3" at 100 yds. At 3.374 coal its 1" to 1.3". But the bullet is into the lans at this depth. I have herd some guys jump the Bergers as much as .025. This is a factory model 700 with a match trigger and a 4.5X14X50 Leopold. Any recommendations? And I should add I have seen no signs of excessive pressure.

So just back it off the lands. The COAL should be a non-issue. VLD's are very long and as long as you have room in the case and the ogive is out of the neck, experiment at will!!

Go on to Berger's web site, they tell how to do a seating depth test. Also, you might take the best load and shoot some groups at 200 and 300yds. Sometimes the groups will be just as good if not better at longer ranges.

I bought the Berger book but I have still had trouble getting good results. At this rate my barrel on my 264 will be shot out by the time I get a accurate load.

I placed a VLD lightly into a fired shell. Then slowly closed the bolt and then slowly extracted the shell. I did this with 2 rounds to see if this would give me a coal for this bullet. Both rounds measured 3.366". Would this give me a accurate measurement to the bullet on the lans?

Silly question but what twist rate is the barrel on the .264? A 6.5mm berger 140 gr vld requires a little more twist to stabilize than an amax does.

I am having the same issue with my buddys 270 and 130 vld. Tried touching, jammed, just off of the lands. I used their depth test and found that the best groups are 0.08 off the lands. It still does not shoot like I want it to so I believe I am going to stop throwing money at it and switch to nosler.

Shelton

Might slow them down some they went from 2inch groups at3150fps to shooting in the same hole when I dropped them down to 2950fps.

In all 3 the rifles I have tried VLD bullets in they were all factory barrels which none were ideal twist rates as recommended for these bullets. I don't have my load record book in front of me but my 264 is whatever Remington uses. If it means installing a custom barrel just to shoot VLD bullets I belive I also will go back to Hornady or Nosler.

It doesn't mean you can't use vld bullets, it means use the correct weight bullet for the twist rate.I'm not firmiliar with the calibers your using, but let's use an example most are firmiliar with. On a 223, most factory barrels come 12 twist. They are more likely to shoot a 40-55 gr bullet. You stick a 75 gr amax in there and your going to get negative results more than likely. While 223s seem to notoriously be forgiving with bullet selections, some calibers are not quite as forgiving. My 260 ai has a 8.t twist barrel on it and it loves 130 vld's, where my buddy's 6.5 creen has an 8 twist and it loves 140 hybrids.

The point is, you have to use the correct weight bullet to match the twist in your rifle. You cannot expect "XXX" brand bullet to work in your rifle because of its name. I will be more than willing to bet if you match bullet to rifling and find right seating depth with charge weight you will be hard pressed to find a reason to complain about bergers.

I'm pretty sure Remington used a 1in9 twist in the 264. If that's the case then you are border line on stability which I would think is your accuracy issue.

Jabey9210
Correct 1 in 9. So from the Berger site it would suggest increasing the velocity to help stability. At 3,000 fps ,as you said, the twist is marginal. But pushed to 3,100 or higher, according to the Berger site, the stability should improve.

Smokin250
If I sounded like I was complaining it was not intended to be so. I am just slightly frustrated, so that was why I ask here to see if others have had these issues.

No sir, been there done that. I by no means mean to come off as someone that is perfect that this. I am still new to this game compared to a lot of guys on here. I've wasted enough time and money fooling around with this stuff.

I would imagine if you were running the 130vld around 3000 FPS it should stabilize. However I can only imagine the 120gr would be better, or even try and 123 AMAX. I haven't seen a gun personally that wont shoot a VLD twisted right. As I have mentioned, I have zero experience with this caliber but if I had to guess it would be a faster 260...just a guess though. Sell those 140's and find something lighter and ill bet youll be happy.

So,if I am stuck on shooting a heavier bullet, which I am, then it looks like I may need to do a barrel change with a more acceptable twist? Any recommendations on contour, twist, length and brand?

Back