Anyone know anything about sandhill crane hunting ?

jetman

I'm planning on putting in for a permit Mt someplace. for Sandhill crane
The areas are a LONG ways from the homestead , sizably investment. Deer Lodge, Ovando, Dillon, Broadwater Co, Golden valley.

The question in my mind is would it be worth the $$$. 200 miles one way then flop around looking for some place to hunt. I have never hunted any of the crane areas.
It would be cool to shoot one but the cost and time...
Talk me in to it please I have to have the app in very soon.
Thanks

The only cranes I've ever shot were by pure luck as we had some work a field while out scouting for geese and managed to get positioned for a shot. That was in South Dakota. Not that I tried overly hard but never saw them consistently enough ever to target them specifically. I know there are places where they stage in numbers for good shooting-Nebraska sand hills, panhandle and gulf of Texas come to mind. If you got a place that has them, give it a try. Shouldn't be much different than geese if they are there long enough and (important part) at the same time as you are.

I know nothing about sandhill cranes in MT. However, I thought you and others might like to know about this opportunity.

The Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area in southern AZ is managed specifically for sandhill cranes. For the past 15 years, mid-winter survey counts have shown about 20,000 to 30,000 cranes using the wildlife area, hunter success is 50-60%, the hunting is done on public land, chances of getting drawn for a permit is around 95%.

Here is a link to last years sandhill crane hunting brochure.
http://azgfdportal.az.gov/PortalImages/files/regs/craneregs.pdf

Here is a link about the Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area.
http://aziba.org/?page_id=698

The sandhill crane is the ribeye of the sky... Prolly my favorite taste outta all the fowl in my neck of the woods...

If there is wheat planted or some kind of grain such as HighGear, sorguhm , molasses. maze, etc etc. they are going to be thick as can be. YOu will love eating them. They are not easily Killed. I prefer a hard hitting 3" with #6s or 5s Of course I have used my special, load ( 2 3/4") that's cranking out at 1400 fps. Like Infidel says Ribeye from the sky. Please please try to Pattern that shotgun with the loads you will be using. Make sure of choke and load combo before you go hunting. Think tight pattern. Good Luck Post Pics...

There is 1000's and 1000's of acres of wheat in every direction around where we are planning on putting in for the permit.
We shoot lots of big "honkers" we have good loads for big birds. My favorite Swan load is 1 1/2 oz. steel #1X#bb out of my 3 1/2" super express 1350 fps, extra full choke.
If I do my part they will do there part....

Yeah here in Ky we are allowed 2 a year but i have never known anyone who has gotten one. I only see them in the warmer part of the year but the season is in the winter. I think it would be an awesome mount. I have just always hoped i would get a chance at one while hunting something else.

Last years post.
I got the tag, I got the crane.
This year I did not get a tag.
They are wonderful to eat.

101_1231_zpsfgvawfgy.jpg

Back