How much territory does a pair of coyotes have.

case-nh

Got busted the other night I think by some coyotes. Wondering how far I would have to go to get out of their territory to set up and call again. Have a lot of good areas in this area and could set up 1/2 to a mile away but don't know if this is far enough. This is in east central Iowa. Rolling farm ground with many areas of trees and grass waterways. Hunting primarily at night. Went to the same spot within a few days of having a yote practically run into us (my son a myself) but did not get a shot off. Was just finishing up after about 35 min. of calling and I stood up to scan with the nv binocs with ir tourch and they let loose with a bunch of different sounds not just barks. Have been barked at befor when busted but not this. Sat back down and tried a coyote sound and puppies but nothing. Hate to educate them but feel this is what happened. Anyway looking for info. Thanks.

I don't think you have to go very far at all. Just give them a little cooling off time, go in from a different approach, and use a different sound. We have gone back the same day after killing one of a pair, just did a lonesome howl or two and then watch. Most times they haven't gone very far away. They are social as can be.

It did not fire a shot, you really did not condition them too much. Try different sound, different approach. Or just try again at the same spot. In california ,nevada, oklahoma ,oregon, we often called the same locations with good results

I was calling one morning and nothing came in. On the way back to my truck I had a coyote barking me up. I decided if anything was going to happen I needed to make a move so I circled left crouching while I walked being as sneeky as possible. I set up about 30 yards from my truck and play pup distress and it came up behind me and busted me. I got up, spun around and barked him to a stop and made the shot. So in my opinion, it really depends on your approach and the situation. Maybe you can make it work, maybe not. Doesn't always work out. Part of the game.

Be careful using your or having your IR torch when you have a firearm with you. You may find yourself on the wrong side of the law. But you should be able to go back in a couple weeks and give it a go.

Back