marlin 45-70 should I?

ohihunter2014

kinda in a dilemma. Ohio recently passed strait walled rifle cartridges and I ran right out and got a cva stalker 45-70 with Nikon 3-9 bdc scope. I have always wanted a lever action because that's what I was taught to deer hunt with but they were outrageously priced. I found one today new for $579. I know Remington bought marlin and quality control was shot. I like the idea of the cva having a composite stock for weather but that marlin is screaming buy me.

anyone know if Remington/marlin fixed their issues? anyone own a marlin 45-70 and whats your thoughts?

Remington got their stuff figured out now. There's enough new old stock of the rougher "parts Marlins" and early NY production runs floating around that you still have to be careful, but you'll be well pleased by their new stuff.

I have had many Marlin 30a, 336, 1895, and 1894's over the years, and worked on (tuned/upgraded) about 4-5 times as many as I have owned. There were high times in their history and low times, even when owned by Marlin, but they current Remlins don't have the same issues that the 2010ish timeline ones did, and they're on par with what I'd call the "standard" for Marlin quality.

The 1895's are fantastic rifles, and the 45-70's I own all do very well on deer with the Hornady Leverevolution 325grn FTX factory loads.

That's darn good shooting, Bearcat for off hand.

The Marlin big bores are really neat. I have a .444 and love it.

I have both a 444S and a 1895GS, I like both. The 18.5" stainless barrel on the GS make it a sweet handleing gun, but I like my ol' 444 the best of my big bore Marlins.

So far I have not seen any of the Remlin Marlins that I would like to buy. My 1895GS is a JM stamped Marlin made in 2003, (Serial # starts with 97) and my 444S was made in 1976, (Serial # starts with 24). Try to find a Marlin with a JM proofmark on the barrel, they might cost you more, but they are worth it. I think the newer Marlins that have come from Remington, don't have as nice wood as the older ones did. You need to look for a Marlin with a serial number that starts with a serial number 93 or higher for guns made from (2007-2001), or 00-28 (2000-1972). These are the most sought after Marlin Big Bores, and fetch a premium dollar. Good Luck on finding a Marlin Big Bore.

P.S.----You can find more info over at MarlinOwners.com on all things Marlin.

Here's a target I shot with the .444. I shot two shots which hit a bit low, readjusted my scope a bit and then shot two more. One time I shot a 3-shot group at 100 yards that all three rounds were touching. I never had any idea the rifle would be so accurate when I purchased it way back in 1976.

Had an 1895, have a Rossi circuit judge in 44mag right now

Looking to go with a custom encore in 500s&w next, I want to shoot those 700gr t rex killers and those 630 grand canyons.

That 500 just has that awe factor, my circit judge is accurate and has functioned flawlessly for the 100 or so I've sent downrange, and my 1895 absolutely did its job.

The 1895 is tradition
The 500 s&w would just be different and an insane blast I think
The circuit judges have been known to be hit or miss, I put the $400 illuminated 1-6x24 Millet on it, 11 brightness settings, true one power on the low end, it has very much exceeded all my expectations.

I say all that just to note there are some cool oddball and great tried and true out there.

Bighorn armory also makes a $2600+ 500s&w or 460s&w lever gun, I was within inches of going this route but found out the 500 wouldn't fit the longer 600+ grain rounds.

Have fun with the decision no matter where you go, what you have now has to be the most mundane of options though.

Last edited:
my marlin 444 is one of the few i regret selling. There just wasnt much usage in my area. I would pick up another if I found a deal.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014
Anyone own a marlin 45-70 and whats your thoughts?

I live in Ohio, also. I like my 1895/45-70, it has a 20in ported barrel.
I installed ghost ring sights. I can shoot 2in groups @ 50yds offhand.
I did not get a shot with it this past fall, first two days hunting.
I did kill a doe with my Ruger 44mag auto carbine, on a drive.
The Marlin is good rifle and fun to shoot.
I am going to scout scope mine and use it in my tree stand.
If you want a short fast shooting rifle buy a Ruger 44 auto.

fat bore lever guns are just a special kind of fun
wink.gif

These are both Remington built Marlins both made in 2014 and just as nice as any Of my JM stamped Marlins I think they have most of the bugs worked out, but I would still look one over good like was already mentioned I've seen a few of the early ones still in gunshops.
I shot a deer last year in OH with my 45/70 with a 325gr FTX at about 70 yrds it took a couple of steps and was down with ALOT of internal damage the insides where like jello.

IMG_20150314_180834058_zpslh4yyutc.jpg

I bought a used Marlin 45/70 a bunch of years ago. never regretted it and it will never be for sale, if that tells you anything. lots of fun to shoot, and hunt with. seems like a good deal to be.
Barry

My Marlin 45/70 has put a LOT of meat in my freezers over the years. It and my 444 will be among the last guns I have.

Back