Anybody have any tips on New Mexico Unit 53?

Okie Hunter

I am mostly over my "mad" about hunting in New Mexico and now its down to taking advantage of my "good luck" in the draw.

I was drawn for bow mule deer in New Mexico's Unit 53, which is north of Toas. Most of the unit is national forst and I are going solo. I haven't hunted in that area of New Mexico. Hunt dates are from Sept. 1 to 22. I was planning on taking the 4-wheeler as far as I can, make camp and hunt from there, staying overnight away from base camp as needed. Any tips on places to start will be appreciated.

I am going up this weekend and take a look around.

Thanks for you feedback.

I've never hunted that area, but it looks like pretty nice country. I'd probably concentrate my efforts on water. Try to located secluded water holes and/or springs and scout them out for sign and animals. Then set up ground blinds or tree stands in strategic locations. Depending on the terrain up there you might have decent luck with spot and stalk. Get to a place where you can see good, then glass the country you can see. Watch for bucks moving from the feeding grounds to bedding country. Once they get settled into bed for the day, make your sneak. That time of year the bucks are probably still going to be in bachelor groups, so you chance of sneaking up on one or two should be pretty good. Good Luck!!!

best bet is to set up on watering holes in the early morning and in the evening. I have a friend who guides up there, and he was telling me that he doesnt even scout, he just checks to see if there is water, and where.

Back