60 grain = 60 grain in whatever load?

Pack_Wolf

I used a 60 grain Vmax on top of Varget and worked up a load at 100 yds that I thought was great. Then I used the same Varget load with a 60 grain soft point. I was surprised how close the groups were. So is this common? Perhaps any 60 grain bullet will fly true at the same load. The OAL was the same.

I have a weapon that shoots 87 grain v-max into the same hole as a 90 grain Nosler BT. at 100. At 500 they are not even close due to BC differences. So sometimes yes sometimes no. Flip a coin. Most of the time each kind of bullet is its own animal. Pressures will be different due to differences in copper jacket make up also.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI have a weapon that shoots 87 grain v-max into the same hole as a 90 grain Nosler BT. at 100. At 500 they are not even close due to BC differences. So sometimes yes sometimes no. Flip a coin. Most of the time each kind of bullet is its own animal. Pressures will be different due to differences in copper jacket make up also.

Yep, 100 yards is just a chip shot. Testing POI at 200+ is much safer. At 100 it would have to be pretty dramatic to see a shift of large proportion.

Greg

Back