Signs of overpressure when reloading for AR?

FCB1616

Im new to reloading for an AR and wanted to know if there were signs of overpressure i should look for like there are in bolt action rifles? any help is appreciated!

While you are looking for the above mentioned sign check the primer. Flat or punchered primers are the next sign.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223The one I look for is ejector swipes, It will be the first to show up.

Not arguing this, but I'll comment that it's not quite so straight forward for all AR's. Case Head Swipes (CHS) are a symptom of an overgassed AR. I generally consider ejector impressions, and extractor cut impressions, to be overpressure signs, but swipes can occur when the action is overgassed and the bolt is trying to open too early. With an adjustable gas block, if you start closed and work your way open, you'll never see that symptom.

Thanks Varmin for correcting me. I meant to type ejector marks dont know why I was thinking swipes. And yes the swipes are from a over gassed gun more so showing up in carbine length gas systems.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Thanks Varmin for correcting me. I meant to type ejector marks dont know why I was thinking swipes. And yes the swipes are from a over gassed gun more so showing up in carbine length gas systems.

Slip of the tongue (or fingers, I suppose), amigo, no harm, no foul. For most standard gas block rifles, over pressure impressions are followed hand in hand by swipes, since over pressure rounds will yield an over gassed action too, the ol' double whammy. I just wanted to differentiate the difference between the two, since "new to reloading for the AR" kinda also means "new to reloading to suit my AR's gas system."

But I gotta say too, it sure seems like most models on store shelves are leaving factory with an over-flow gas system - I guess the logic is that we'd rather be hard on brass and batter the action than have a bunch of guns come back failing to eject.

You certainly hit that one right. With the various levels of high/low powered ammunition out there they have to run with the lowest common denominator.

An adjustable block is certainly your friend.

Greg

Back