CZ 512 WMR Range Report

TripleDeuce660

Thought I would post this because some of you are restricted to rimfire for predators.

Got the 512 out today. First time I have shot it from a rest other than shooting sticks. I'm happy with the results. What do you expect for a 7x scope, a wobbly old picnic table, and a rolled up towel for a rear rest? The important thing is I am sighted in and ready for rabbit season to open on July 1st!

Here is my " Bench Rest"

Wind was calm for the first hour or so.

I could just feel the group that was 3/8. The gun was just naturally settled right on the target. I did not need to fight it at all to keep it aiming at just the right spot. I also took my time and didn't blow it. Every time the trigger broke I knew I was on target.

By this last target the wind started to pick up. The forearm must of been getting loose at this point. It seemed to cause the groups to open a bit, but the wind was also starting.I had about 400 rounds through it over the last year or so before it worked its way loose. I had torqued it to 20 or 25 in lbs ( can't remember). I think it was the temperature change that did it. I'm considering bedding under the forearm lug. Looks easy and I don't see how it could hurt.

It would be interesting to get another forearm and bed the entire barrel or the first 3 inches and the lug.

This last target was just already up there. The upper left 3/8 inch group I shot a little earlier. Again, I could just feel it. I think I fired the upper right and then torqued the forearm to 25 in/lbs. Sure is easier to aim at the smaller dots and the grid.

I added up all the groups, there are 27 of them. I then converted them all to decimal and averaged them. All the measurements are CTC. The average for the day was .796". I'm sure the right scope, rest, and person behind the trigger could reduce that to .5 with no problem at all. I'm sure the forearm working lose was no help either.

I had 3 stovepipes and fired 150 rounds. Their frequency is decreasing. I am almost to 500 rounds so we will see how it goes the next 500. I also stripped and cleaned the gun today. When I put it back together I followed the lubrication points in the manual. Think I lubed the rails on the initial strip and clean, but did not lube the other points shown. Maybe that was the problem.

Trigger has still never failed to reset, despite the 2 lb 8 oz pull.

I bought a 512 for raccoon calling. I shoot cci 40gr hollow points. Sighted in 1" high at 40 yards. Mine groups like yours. Did you adjust the trigger pull on yours or did it come from factory set at 2 lbs? My trigger has a lot of creep and breaks at 6lbs or more.

I adjusted the trigger. I think it was almost 5 lbs. I first polished everything really well and that got me down into the 4lb range. I then drilled a new hole in the sear for the spring. That did the trick. Search over on rimfire central. There is a how to tutorial with pics and you will see my posts towards the end. Over there I am stockranger.

It now has some take up. Then resistance starts and there is a little bit of creep before it breaks. Its not as nice as my tikka or a 527 set trigger, but I can live with it now.

Last edited:
oh, and for what its worth, newer 512 like mine have a different sear. The guns with the newer all stainless sear seem to break in the 4 to 6 pound range out of the box. The first guns have a blued sear and those guns are supposed to be really bad, like 9lbs. If you have one with an old sear you can purchase the new one from cz usa. Also, if your trigger weight is greater than the weight of the gun cz might do a trigger job under warranty( at least this is their shotgun policy).

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660oh, and for what its worth, newer 512 like mine have a different sear. The guns with the newer all stainless sear seem to break in the 4 to 6 pound range out of the box. The first guns have a blued sear and those guns are supposed to be really bad, like 9lbs. If you have one with an old sear you can purchase the new one from cz usa. Also, if your trigger weight is greater than the weight of the gun cz might do a trigger job under warranty( at least this is their shotgun policy).
Thanks for the info. That heavy trigger was the only thing keeping me from buying a 512 WMR; now I have no excuses. Appreciate the range report, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660 I then drilled a new hole in the sear for the spring. That did the trick.

have any pictures of where you put the new hole?

Hmmm they seem to have all the trigger parts except the sear available in the cz store. They do have extra trigger springs for 2 bucks. The other option is to bend the trigger spring instead of drill the hole. The hole in no way can damage the sear. It can be fully reversed if there is a problem.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword?word=512

Here is the tutorial with pics. I drilled the hole slightly further back than it is shown in the photos on the first page. Polishing I believe is critical for the trigger to reset with the lighter spring pressure. Make sure you have a good sharp bit. i had a [beeep] of a time drill it with the cheap bits I had laying around the garage. I had to get my work tools out and use the dewalt bits.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397948&highlight=512+trigger+polish

Last edited:
Back