browning BLR trigger

Spike

I will be getting a browning BLR in a few days and was wondering about the weight of the trigger. the literature on the BLR says the trigger pull will be 4.5 lbs.. I like to have a trigger pull to be around 2.5lbs, will this be possible? BLR owners please give me your thoughts on the weight of pull. thanks Spike

thanks for your replies about the blr trigger, I guess the way the lever action works a light weigh trigger is not practical.

well I finally got my browning BLR yesterday. the BLR is a 7mm08 caliber and looks beautiful. I had asked about the trigger on the BLR at the beginning of the post, hopping to get something in the 2.5 lbs range. well the trigger that I received is the worst that I can recall, EVER! I hope that my gunsmith can help me. thanks for listening. spike

Have had one in .243 for over 20yrs and I'm very happy with it's performance. Shot sub inch at a hundred with doing nothing to it other than mounting a scope and trying a couple of loads. Nice little rifle.

I had a BLR, nothing against it but I did trade it off. There may be a trigger fix of sorts, but I never saw any easily done by the shade tree gunsmith. That was one reason, and I guess a simple bolt action suits me fine.

I still have a BL-22, which isn't going anywhere.

Here is my old steel frame short action .308 BLR 81'. With the little Leupold 2x7 onboard it is a slim, light and easy handling mixed cover rifle. I've never had trouble finding a load that will group four shots (the magazine capacity) into or hovering right at an inch at one hundred yards. I practice out to three hundred yards with it, though most of my shots are in the timber at considerably closer ranges. Pure poison on Ozark timber whitetails.

Originally Posted By: GCHere is my old steel frame short action .308 BLR 81'. With the little Leupold 2x7 onboard it is a slim, light and easy handling mixed cover rifle. I've never had trouble finding a load that will group four shots (the magazine capacity) into or hovering right at an inch at one hundred yards. I practice out to three hundred yards with it, though most of my shots are in the timber at considerably closer ranges. Pure poison on Ozark timber whitetails.

Swap the scope with a Zeiss Terra 2-7 and mine is a dead copy.....shoots the same accuracy wise as well.

If you reload start low, the chamber on my BLR is very tight a starting load of CFE 223 from the manual was barely flattening primers. At least on the older BLRs like my steel framed 81 they are known for tighter than normal chambers....not a problem but something to be aware of when you reload for them.

Agree on the tight chamber... If you let it get dirty in the neck you can have chambering issues. That old rifle in the picture has killed a lot of critters over the years and made some pretty good shots at bucks bouncing through the timber. It will be handed down to my son and then his son in turn when that time comes. I'd like to be sitting with my grandson in the Ozark timber watching a certain remote bottleneck sometime in the future and coach him as he piles up a nice buck with that BLR. If it comes to pass it'll be déjà vou because my dad did the same thing years ago with an identical BLR .308...

Mine's an old Belgian-made .308. Most recent victim was this hog. It likes 165 grain Nosler partitions over Reloder 15. It wears a 1.5-5x Leupold. The trigger on this one is pretty decent, although I've never measured it. I'd guess it's in the 4-lb. range and breaks pretty clean for a non-bolt gun.

glad to see there are people that are satisfied with their BLR's. I liked the looks and feel of the BLR but the trigger is impossible to use. with more than a .5" of creep there is no way I would consider using the BLR on a game animal. to say that I'm disappointed with a $5.00 trigger in a $1000.00 rifle is putting it lightly. spike

1/2" of creep? That is terrible. Mine runs about 4.25 pounds, has a tiny bit of spongy creep (very small amount) at the beginning of the pull then gets firm and breaks pretty clean at that point. It certainly isn't match grade but if you shoot it enough to get used to it good work can be done with it. Once I get tuned up with it I can shoot groups around 1" at 100 yards and any miss I've had while hunting absolutely wasn't the guns fault.

Back