Best Twist for 22-250?

Zeb

OK...., I'm a die-hard .223 fan...., but i'm thinking about bulding a 22-250. Is there anyting I need to know about the 22-250 that would deturmine the best rate of twist ??????

Currently I mostly shoot AR's and Bolts in .223 both with 1:9" & 1:12" Twists. They both shoot 50 to 63 gr. pills with good, to awesome accuracy! Is there any change-up I need to know about when moving up to the velocities of the 22-250??

Thanks in advance!!

Most 250's have a 1 in 14 twist and mine shot up to a 55 grain bullet nice. Some guys got 60 grain SP's to shoot OK out of the 1 in 14.

Savage makes a 1 in 12 in the 22-250, and reports are 60 grainers are good from this twist.

I think if you twist things any faster on a 250, the barrels will deteriorate quickly.

Both shoot 55 grainers and under well. My 250 liked regular old 55 grain Hornady SP's best for accuracy. In the short time I owned the 22-250 it was a much more descisive coyote killer than the 223..........even at close range.

The 22-250 is a good bit louder than the 223 also, but I think the extra horespower is worth it.

Awesome...., thanks for your input!!
That makes perfect sence to me! The 22-250 would need a bit slower twist to compensate for the increased velocity as compared to the .223 for both barrel life, and projectile stability!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifThis is me gobbling up more food for thought!!

Thanks sleddogg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif!!

1:12 is a good compromise for the 55 and 60 gr bullets. If you want to go to a heavier (longer) bullet, especially the VLD 70 - 90 grainers for long range, you'll need a faster twist.

Keep in mind that a fast twist barrel in 22-250 will blow up the lighter bullets at max velocities. It will also burn up a lot faster.

The 22-250 is not known for long lasting barrels in any case, but I had a 1:8 twist barrel that shot beautifully...for not much more than 600 rounds. It then went downhill pretty quickly from great to toast. That rifle is now wearing a 1:12 twist barrel.

It all depends on how far you will be shooting. For short range(300 yards or so) the 14" with 55gr bullets will work fine. If you expect to make first shot hits at 500 yards you will need a 9" twist shooting the 69gr bullets. If you want to tackle 6-700 yard shots an 8.5" will handle the 75-77gr bullets. Further than that you will need to shoot the 80VLDs which need an 8" twist.

Keep in mind that the faster the twist, the less rounds the barrel is good for. On average an 8" twist barrel has about half the life of a 14" twist. Barrel life is no big deal for most people unless you are shooting colony varmints.

Jack

I would say a 1in 12 or 1 in 14.And by the way,you might want to check out the 22-250 ackley improved.You would have to fireform your brass,but you will get more speed.The balistics are about the same as the 220 swift.I am thinking about switching my 250 rem to ackley improved.

Just got off the phone with savage.

The model 10 22-250's with the 1 in 12 twist are designed for the federal 40 grain Noisler V-max bullet.

I couldn't get mine to group worth a crap with 64gr, 55 gr, nor, 50gr I hope that it likes either the 40 grain or 35 grain bullets I just ordered.

Just got off the phone with savage.

The model 10 22-250's with the 1 in 12 twist are designed for the federal 40 grain Noisler V-max bullet.

I couldn't get mine to group worth a crap with 64gr federal, 55gr Hornady, nor the 50gr Hornady. I hope that it likes either the 40Gr Hornady or 35gr Hornady ammo I just ordered.

Originally Posted By: Archi.inakJust got off the phone with savage.

I couldn't get mine to group worth a crap with 64gr federal, 55gr Hornady, nor the 50gr Hornady. I hope that it likes either the 40Gr Hornady or 35gr Hornady ammo I just ordered.

You need to study up on what a 12 twist will stabilize

60g Berger, 60g V max, 64g what evers, 65g Sierra

My 22-250 is a Remmy Varmint so it is a 14 twist (I think). Shoots 52's very well, I have some 60gr partitions I've been wanting to try.... I just haven't got it done yet.

So many guns/loads to work on... so little time.

Last edited:
My 250 is a 14 twist and it shoots the 60 grain slugs but I have to push them as fast as I can. It shoots everything lighter very well and a 55 grain slug will kill any coyote as far as you can hit it accurately.

I went with 1/14" on my custom 22-250. My plan was nothing heavier than 55 gun bullets, not that I wouldn't try heavier. Unless you had a specialized need I can't see going more than 1/12".

If I want longer and heavier I'll use a 243.

if you plan more than a twelve, then might as well plan on a rechamber to a twenty two two forty three or an improved version there of, middlestead.

On the 22/250AI, I shot the 60g with win 760 at 3700 in a twelve twist, unreal accurate. Not much advantage to the 60g until you get to five hundred yards. 55g Blitz king may need a 12 twist, it is the most borderline of all the fifty five grain bullets, all others are fine with a 14 including nosler.

my 22-250ai is in tc encore with a 27" MGM barrel and it has a 1 in 8" twist. a 75gr hornady amax with a charge of superfomance does wonders!!!

Back