new savage 11 trophy hunter XP

yotehunter243

I traded for a new model 11 Trophy hunter XP 243 with a nikon BDC. Just your typical factory gun with the plastic stock and detachable mag. This is going to be a project gun as my main truck/calling rig. First thing I'd like to replace is the stock. With the new savage stock and detachable mag how do I go about replacing the stock? Do I buy a regular center feed stock and buy a center feed blind mag?
Also I believe I am going to rebarrel in either 22-250 AI or 243 AI.

I'm working on a similar project, this is what I've found:
Sharp shooter supply has a replacement wood stock that use factory mag
Boyds will work but you will need to buy bottom metal from savage
McMillan, bell Carlson, etc. you will need a detachable mag system from CDI or PTG.

I talked to Boyds about the Pro Hunter stock. She never mentioned needing different bottom metal. Is she withholding important information???

If your rifle has bottom metal you should be GTG. If your rifle is like mine that had that cheap design were the magazine attached via a plastic clip into the stock you will need bottom metal, unless Boyds has a new design that will accept the factory plastic clip mag.

Mine has a trigger guard and a detachable mag. Has the funky button on the bottom for a bolt release and a little lever in front of the mag to release it. Sound like yours?

Mine has the bottom bolt release built into the trigger guard, the magazine snaps into the stock with a plastic clip which is built into the magazine, there is no metal in or around the mag well. Hope that helps, I can post some pics tomorrow if necessary.

My trigger guard and mag are two separate pieces.

Just looked again and harder this time. My mag has a little plastic clip that just clips into the stock. Trigger guard is a separate piece.

Last edited:
Back