Vote for which caliber for the PM hunt rifle

R Johnson

I'm looking for some input on which caliber for the 2016 Predator Master egg shoot rifle.
Should it be a factory chambering and if so which one?
Or should it be one of the wild cats I build and which one?

Give me your ideas, and the reasons why.

Last edited:
6x6.8

because it really is the do it all in the AR15 platform...

probably a bit hard on fox and bobs, but it's the 243's hotter younger sister if you ask me.

Last edited:
6.5 Grendel because that is what I will choose for my next AR-15. I think it is a good choice because of the wide range of bullet weights available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb860020 Practical

oooh...yeah

20 prac does sound good....
22x6.8 sounds good too.

so many flavors

I don't care because I can';t hit that dang egg anyway...

I vote for 6.5 though. Just about everyone could use a 6.5. The wildcats are nice but not everyone likes them or can use(reload) for them. You never know who might win.

20 Practical........requires a bushing die & 2 bushings, 20 cal decapper rod.
20 Tactical.........dies easy to get, but requires fire forming BUT easy to do.
204 ruger...........dies easy to find, no special reloading, load & go.
6x6.8...............can get standard dies OR redding bushing dies and 2 bushings again. Loaded ammo available.
6.8 ................Other variations....need bushing dies & bushings.
264/6.5 grendel.....standard dies easy to get, no case forming.
6.8 spc.............Dies easy to find, load & go.

Should be kept simple and not have to dive into reloading/forming extras a person would hsve to buy especially if they are not that involved in reloading

My vote is for a 17-223 or 6mm grendal. The 17-223 that Ritch and Greg did for me has shown some very good groups with the little amount of time I have had to shoot.

6x6.8. I thought there was someone making factory ammo for that caliber.

I would guess that most previous winners were reloaders anyway. And it's probably only a handful of guys that even will have a chance at winning it. So you might as well go for a caliber that you and Greg have worked to put out. It's what you are kinda known for anyway I would think.

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury6x6.8. I thought there was someone making factory ammo for that caliber.

I would guess that most previous winners were reloaders anyway. And it's probably only a handful of guys that even will have a chance at winning it. So you might as well go for a caliber that you and Greg have worked to put out. It's what you are kinda known for anyway I would think.

Sounds like solid logic to me! +1

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury6x6.8. I thought there was someone making factory ammo for that caliber.

Tactical Ammunition does sell loaded ammunition for the 6X6.8.

Greg

Not everyone reloads or can afford to get into it wether the gun is free or not. I say a cartridge you can buy ammo for off the shelf.

The rifle should be something special, a 6x6.8, 22x6.8 or 17-223 gets my vote. Maybe you could get Redding or ch4D to donate a set of dies to go along with it?

Has there ever been a winner that used factory ammo?

Last edited:
Back