Building my first complete AR15

bulkness

I’m in the process of building an AR 223 for predator hunting. I will most likely use the Nosler 60 Grain Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullet.

This weapon will spend a lot of time riding in a rack on my ATV as I am disabled and I have limited mobility. This type of hunting is for another thread that I would like to start.

It will have a ThunderBeast Ultra Nine attached most all the time. The Krieger barrel is a heavy weight barrel. I will most likely put a Nightforce or Vortex scope on this weapon.

I’m looking for your throughs and ideas on this build. I'm sure that I have missed a couple of small pieces that I have not listed.

I would rather pay once and cry once.

I also have a chance to buy this weapon instead.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post2832377

$104.95 Spike's Tactical Upper Receiver - Forged M4 Flat Top (Multi Cal) SFT50M4
$89.95 Spike's Tactical Lower (Multi) Forged Spider Stripped w/ Bullet Markings-STLS012
$209.95 Seekins Precision MCSR V2 Free Float Quad Rail - 15" MCSR Mod Rail
$39.95 Rock River Lower Receiver Parts Kit, WITHOUT Trigger Group, with A2 Grip Black
$214.95 Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron M16 BCG (223/5.56)
$590.00 Krieger AR15, VARMATCH, 1:7.7 twist, .22 Cal, Finished 23", Rough Chamber, Gas Block, Barrel Extension, Fluting
$278.95 Geissele Hi-Speed DMR Trigger - DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLE 2.8lbs-5.1lbs
$79.95 MAGPUL ACS Mil-Spec Adaptable Carbine Storage Stock - Black - MAG370BLK
$19.95 MAGPUL MOE AR GRIP PLUS MAG-416
$67.95 Spikes Tactical 6pos Milspec Carbine Stock Hardware Kit with T2 Buffer
$160.00 TBAC CB Flash Hider 5/8-24 threads with Thread Protector
$87.95 JP Aluminum Adjustable Gas Block Low Profile (.936 Bore) JPGS-8

Go to Joe Bobs or Palmeto State Armory and get a complete upper including bolt carrier and bolt, on sale cheap. Minute of Coyote (MOC) doesn't have to be MOA. Although with a little testing of loads you will find a good shooting load. Then buy one of those plastic complete Lowers for $100 and you are coyote ready. Unless you are going to use a suppressor, an adjustable gas block is not necessary. If you are NOT going to target shoot in competition that $500 bucks spent on a Krieger barrel are a waste of money. Just my opinion, but I have killed a bunch of Yotes and Pdogs without the aid of a competition target ready rifle. Don't get me wrong, I have a Black rifle that I compete with in local F-TR at 3/5/6 hundred yards, but I don't take it out in the field and risk dropping it or god forbid the scope. Always build purpose built equipment.

Tom

Last edited:
I believe your on the right track if you can swing building a real nice rifle I would definitely build one never regretted building quality but would always regret building or buying something not IMO. I personally would never buy a plastic lower but thats me to each there own. Best of luck

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTGo to Joe Bobs or Palmeto State Armory and get a complete upper including bolt carrier and bolt, on sale cheap. Minute of Coyote (MOC) doesn't have to be MOA. Although with a little testing of loads you will find a good shooting load. Then buy one of those plastic complete Lowers for $100 and you are coyote ready. Unless you are going to use a suppressor, an adjustable gas block is not necessary. If you are NOT going to target shoot in competition that $500 bucks spent on a Krieger barrel are a waste of money. Just my opinion, but I have killed a bunch of Yotes and Pdogs without the aid of a competition target ready rifle. Don't get me wrong, I have a Black rifle that I compete with in local F-TR at 3/5/6 hundred yards, but I don't take it out in the field and risk dropping it or god forbid the scope. Always build purpose built equipment.

Tom
MgySgt, thanks for the input. It has sent me back to the drawing board. I want to build this weapon piece by piece. This is to be a learning experience for me. I'll stick with quality optics. I cannot hit what I cannot see. I will also be using the scope during night hunts with lights. I will be using a suppressor so I'll be keeping the adjustable gas block. I'll look at other barrels also.

Originally Posted By: bryan hI believe your on the right track if you can swing building a real nice rifle I would definitely build one never regretted building quality but would always regret building or buying something not IMO. I personally would never buy a plastic lower but thats me to each there own. Best of luck
Bryan H, I would like to build a nice weapon but MgySgt has a point about "purpose built." This weapon is going to see a lot of the elements and I do fall once in awhile, LOL. I will not be building one using the plastic lowers.

Well, here is what I have on order or on-hand. Have about $1050.00 invested. When I get it built I'll post a pic.

Spike's Tactical Lower Forged Spider Stripped w/ Bullet Markings
Had good reviews from JBO. Did not want to buy used.

Spike's Tactical Upper Receiver - Forged M4 Flat Top
Had good reviews from JBO. Did not want to buy used.

Rock River Arms Two Stage Trigger Group - Varmint 3.5lb
Had good reviews from JBO. Wanted to use two-stage trigger for hunting

Rock River Arms Lower Receiver Parts Kit
Had good reviews from JBO. Price was right.

Ergo AR-15 Ergo Suregrip Tactical Deluxe Grip
Had good reviews. Have large hands.

Ergo ACCU-Wedge-Fixes AR-15 Upper & Lower Slop
Not sure if I'll use this or not.

Spike's Tactical Billet Trigger Guard Gen II
Will use with gloves. Should give more room to larger hands

Vltor EMOD A5 Combo Kit
Had good reviews. Has a longer LOP. Expensive.

PSA USED AR15/M16 Charging Handle
Already owned

Bravo Company BCG
Already owned

LAR Grizzly "1:8 twist 223 Wylde chamber, .925"" diameter at the muzzle, USED
Lar's 9"" mid length gas system USED
Found used and was able to do some trading

Seekins SP3R V3 Mod Quad Rail System 15" Keymod
Live about 70 miles from their shop. Got to handle one. I like the way it ties the upper together

ThunderBeast CB 30 Break
Already owned. Will use with my Ultra Nine

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 SFP EBR-1
Found used and was able to do some trading

Vortex Cantilever Ring Mount for 30mm Tube, 2in Offset
Already owned

Do you already have your Ultra 9 in the works? I was curious what the thought process was to go the 9 over the 7? I would think for this application at least, the shorter package might outweigh the slightly better suppression levels?

Well this is what I ended with minus the Thunderbeast as I wait for my paperwork.
Had to have work done on the barrel as the diameter was to large. I had the barrel fluted. I also had to change the Seekin Handguard to a round one as the other would not fit over the gas block.

Weight at this point without magazines is 10# even.

My AR-15 (600 x 186).jpg

Back