Savage Model 10 and Model 11 .223 Difference

Captain Ron

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the Savage Model 10 .223 and the Savage Model 11 .233. I have the model 10 but have the chance to get a model 11. Was thinking of selling the model 10 for the 11 b/c of the better looking stock BUT the model 10 shoots just as good as the 11. SO I'm asking for some advise to see what you all think.. Ideas?
I can get it for a good deal...

12/112 or 10/110 - Varmint/Target series...only drilled and tapped for scope mounts, no open sights, 24" or 26" barrel, blued or stainless depending on specific variation

11/111 - Hunter series...open sights & drilled and tapped for scope mounts, 22" or 24" barrel, blued only

110/111xxXP3 - Package series...no sights, comes with 3-9x32 scope mounted, 22" or 24" barrel, blued only, wood stock/leather sling installed or synthetic stock/nylon sling installed

16/116 - Weather Warrior series...no sights, only drilled and tapped for scope mounts, 22", 24" or 26" barrel, stainless steel only

The letter codes are what determines the "specific's" of the rifle...here is the list:

AK -Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B -Laminate Stock
C -Clip (Detachable Box Mag.)
F -Synthetic Stock
G -Hardwood Stock
L -Left Hand
LE -Law Enforcement
ML -Muzzleloader

NS -No Sights
P -Police
SE -Safari Express
SS -Stainless Steel
U -Ultra High Lustre
V -Long Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP -Package Gun
Y -Youth

That is a Trophy Predator Hunter XP. I purchased one over the Winter with the Snow Camo stock.
I have 3 11/111's. 223, 243 and 338. Changed scopes on the 243 and 338. They all shoot as good as I do. GW

I could be very wrong (usually am) but the numbers refer to different finishes on the rifle but not sure that holds true today. It used to be the 10/110 were a regular blued finish typically with a birch stock or plan black stock and I believe the WERE the basic models (dosent seem like that anymore, but my old 110 270 is PLAIN), the 11/111 were a matte blue with plastic stock and DBM (some weren't), the 12/112 is the target/varmint version, the 14/114 was the fancy wood stock with black tip and high gloss blued, and the 16/116 were the stainless "weather" models.

So between the 10 and 11 I would say the difference would be barrel/action finish and possibly stock...then again I have seen 10s with plastic stocks. With the two you are comparing, does your 10 have typical blue and the 11 have matte black finish? My old savage 110 has bluing and my newer 11 has matte finish. It seems on the newer savage models, a lot of the features have spilled over from model to model so all my above info is most likely way off. I used to have a thread from another forum that explained. If I can find it I will post it.

Shelton

Last edited:
I don't want to highjack but, since we are on the subject of savage actions. I want to build a gun for my duaghter's birthday. I plan to ceracote the gun pink so I dont need stainless. Caliber will be 260 or 7/08, 22 inch barrel in light varmint, laminated stock,vais muzzle break. I plan to find a gun at a pawn shop or on the classifieds. If I cant find a suitable donor rifle can I just strip an axis rifle or any other short action with the correct bolt face?

Axis action is totally different from the standard 10/110 SA & LA, but the bolt heads can be swapped as they are the same, the bolt body is different.
Check your local cableas as the Savage M12fv is at $379 right now...if they have any in stock left.
That's a perfect action you would want, buy the 12fv in 308 or 22-250 and the barrel is all you would need to change for your caliber of wants.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksThanks 5spd. Will have to trek off to cabelas.
Savage has a $100 rebate on the M12/10/110 and other lines, download the rebate from their web site if you get one or 2...that would be make the 12FVs at $279.99!

Originally Posted By: shelton573Between the 10 and 11 I would say the difference would be barrel/action finish and possibly stock...then again I have seen 10s with plastic stocks. With the two you are comparing, does your 10 have typical blue and the 11 have matte black finish? My old savage 110 has bluing and my newer 11 has matte finish. It seems on the newer savage models, a lot of the features have spilled over from model to model so all my above info is most likely way off. I used to have a thread from another forum that explained. If I can find it I will post it.

Shelton
The 10 is usually a matte finish & heavy barreled 24-26" & can be had w/wood or plastic stock, the M11 is usually polished blued and any stock & 22" sporter barrel. The magazine in both could be internal or detachable box.
In real life it can be a 127 different things though, but the basic action will be the same & may be matte black or blued.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyAnd then if you can find some sucker to sell the barrel to for $100-$150 you got a good deal.
Those barrels will shoot though and that's what counts for the buyer.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksThanks 5spd. Will have to trek off to cabelas.
Savage has a $100 rebate on the M12/10/110 and other lines, download the rebate from their web site if you get one or 2...that would be make the 12FVs at $279.99!

Do you know if they will still honor the rebate on the 12FV? The site says the rebate is on the 12FCV but according to savageshooters.com if it doesn't accept it on the online rebate form you can call them. You know if they are still allowing the 12FV on the rebate list? I want to put together a 260 Rem and would be nice to start with a new action for that price. Thanks!

Shelton

I just got off the phone with the rebate center and yes the 12FV is on the list. You can call the # and they will ask for the UPC off the box and tell you very quickly.
The 12FV is not shown on savage sites list that's why I called to insure that it is good to go.
Cabelas is stupid to put their yellow tag right over the upc tag on the gun box, she said peel or cut them off without pulling the yellow cabelas tag off the savage tag as it will rip the bottom tag & rend it useless.

*** Your receipt may or may not have the upc on it, cabelas only uses their SKU #,other stores may print it on it like a walmart receipt does***

Back