First Fawn Distress Call Kill...First Blood on the 6.8SPC

S2H

Been focusing on using the fawn distress call my last few times out. I've really been wanting it to work...in conjunction with my Primos Frantic Fawn decoy. Been dry stands up until tonight. Last night I sat over some clear cut timber area and had a doe come screaming in when I started the call. She wouldn't leave the area and kept circling the caller. No coyotes though...and the mosquitoes were BRUTAL.

Tonight, with the cooler temps, I decided to give it another go in the same general area...only I set up in the 1' high corn surrounded by woods on 3 sides. I could see the clear cut area I was in last night, but this piece of field it tucked in pretty good. The wind was perfect...in my face as I made the 300yd walk to the corner of the wooded area. Set the caller out about 25 yards and made my way back to the cover of the tree line. I was figuring they might come from wooded area across the field. You can see the decoy and caller on the left hand side of the pic if you look closely.

Started off caller quiet and gradually worked up to a medium volume with the caller on the variable volume setting. After about 8 minutes, I catch him coming in from my 3 o'clock. I was on shooting sticks oriented to my 12, so I couldn't make a move as I was relatively exposed to the field. He was focused on the decoy, but wasn't committing to it. He was at 30 yards, and I still couldn't move an inch. When I thought I could move, I muted the caller, and he came a few steps closer to it...and sat right down. Now...I'm 25 yards from this coyote, he's set on his butt, and I still can't move. Seemed like a full minute, and I turn the volume back on. He watches intently at the shaking decoy, but he's not moving another inch closer. Nose goes up in the air and he looks at me...twice. But I didn't blink and he went back to looking at the decoy. He finally turned to head back to the woods that he came from, and I quickly find the Lil Pup call. That stops him and brings him back...he can't stand not to get closer. He swings around till he's 10 yards in front of me and turns his back to me as he heads toward the caller. I get my eye in the scope, lip smack him to get him broadside and let the bullet fly.

This is my first coyote blood on the 6.8SPC. I've been having the darndest time trying to find a bullet that this thing likes. I spent last Saturday throwing 8 or 9 different rounds at the target. I don't reload, so I'm a slave to factory loads. I learned that it doesn't like the heavier bullets, but is fond of 90-110gr rounds. I was super relieved, because I was beginning to believe I had a bum rifle. This dog was punched with the 90gr Federal Gold Dots...entry and exit holes on the shoulders. At 20 yards, it didn't really matter what bullet I was using though. He was no more than 10 yards from the caller.

The corn is just at the right height...tall enough for them to venture out into the field, but low enough to see them. It won't be like that for long, and I look for the corn spots that aren't growing as quickly. Perfect place to set up...they can run through the taller stuff, and eventually expose themselves in the shorter stuff.

This was a first year male. Pretty good size considering, and I don't discriminate when it comes to coyotes. Besides, you don't really get to choose what responds to your calls...

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking setup and it obviously paid off. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.

Regards,
hm

Ohhh.. Yeah.... Glad you was able to get the drop on him at such close range... Looks like you are waiting on a suppressor with that muzzle flash hider... Nicely done

thumbup1.gif

Back