223 rifle choice

tnyotehunter

I have narrowed down my choices to 4 rifles and would appreciate any help in this matter:

cz euro varmiter 527
700 sps tactical
savage 12bvss
savage 12 fcv

Thanks

I would go with the CZ, I have several of the 527s and they have all been good right from the box, bought a 17 Hornet and a few months ago and I cant not take it when I go to the range.

I own a Savage 12BVSS SS with fluted barrel.
The stock was like a 2X4 so I sold it and bought a Boyds varmint stock.
I like the rifle. It will shoot sub .5MOA groups.

With any rifle, the barrel, can make you or break you and IMO, barrel quality, in factory rifles today, is a crap shoot. Especially with the stuff these manufacturers are putting out now.

Before I made my purchase, I'd ask myself what exactly are my intentions for this rifle. How far will I realistically be shooting this. What will I be shooting it at, paper, coyotes, cans, etc. etc. Are you going to reload for it in order to squeeze every ounce of accuracy you can out of it or will you be shooting store bought ammo. In a nut shell, what are my expectations, realistically, going to be.

With ANY new rifle purchase I think it's a good idea to come up with an honest and realistic list of intended uses then make your purchase accordingly. It'll save you time, money, and potentially one he11 of a lot of frustration if you do.

Soooo, if your just looking for a 223 you can go have fun with, get at just about any gun shop, is reliable, won't cost a great deal and will likely, consistently, shoot around 1ish MOA or maybe better, I'd say your chances are pretty good with any of them and luck of the draw will likely have more to do with how well it shoots versus which one you pick. But, if your looking for more than that from your new purchase, I'd get the one you can most easily have worked on by any gunsmith and that offered the most available options to customize.

I'd also add a Howa to your short list, too. Best of luck with your purchase.

I'm a big CZ fan so that would be my pick given those manufacturers but I wouldn't touch one of those euro stocks with the twenty foot pole I touch my ten foot pole with.
A friend bought one,,, I shot it a few times,,, most godawfull abomination I ever laid hands on.

If you want a heavy barreled varminter I'd get the Kevlar varminter.
Or for a sporter (my preference) I'd go with the American.

Hard to beat a CZ for accuracy, and nobody,,, but nobody,,, offers a trigger of their quality in a moderatly priced rifle.

I have a couple of Remington 788s in .223 that I would consider parting with. I should start thinning out my 788 collection, anyway. Possibly the most accurate rifle Remington ever built.

I'll throw something else out there....a Remington Model 7 Predator. I have one in 223, and had one in 22-250, and they are very good shooting rifles. My 223 is my go to predator hunting rifle. The Remington 700 SPS Tactical is supposed to be a good shooter also. I have a couple of rifles in that line in 243 and 308, and they shoot really good.

TC Venture 22-250 for varmintS.I ve owned and do own many top of the line rifles and this TC will out shoot all if em,by far the most accurate rifle Ive ever owned. I shot a 2 chucks @ 250 n 400 yds with ease. Ya can cover the groups @100 w/a dime. Forget about a .223 unless your shots are under 250yds.Savage rifles shoot best on the internet....

Last edited:
Savage 12fv...get them at cabelas right now at $379 ea.
These jumped into my truck while I was there today.

Last edited:
Well out of that bunch, I think I would go for the cz but I will say that my new browning xbolt 223 is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have owned and its really got a great feel to it

Save yourself a bag o'money, get yourself the Savage Axis with the Accu-trigger, and with the difference get yourself the best glass you can afford.

I'm guessing because your name has "yotehunter" in it, this may be what you will use the rifle for. With Hornady Superformance ammo, my Axis shoots sub-1/2MOA from 100yds from a bipod. That's good enough for one shot (freehand) at a coyote.

I would lean CZ of those choices. I'd also evaluate what weight you are looking for, some of the 'varmint' types are heavy for extended carry.

Back