Supressor on a Savage B Mag?

You will probably have to go with a 5.56 can. Doubt any rimfire cans will be able to handle the pressure of that round.

MPH said:
Need some help guys. I have no experience with putting a silencer on a rifle. I am wondering if I could put on on the below gun that has the thinner sporter barrel. If so, what would be the pluses and minuses. Also, any specific recommendations for a particular suppressor, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B.MagTarget [/quote

The Bmag in that link has the heavy stainless barrel and is fine for threading for use with a suppressor BUT you'll need to use a 223 centerfire suppressor because I'm not aware of any of the rimfire cans that are 17WSM rated. Maybe, one of the rimfire cans that's 5.7x28 rated BUT never assume, ALWAYS, contact the manufacturer and ask them before you screw one on something different.

If the link is wrong and you're actually thinking about threading the standard skinny barrel sporter model Bmag, I don't believe there is nearly enough barrel diameter to allow enough shoulder for a suppressor.

I just bought a heavy barrel stainless Bmag and I have the long and short TBAC rimfire cans as well as the new 223P2. I talked to Zak at Thunder Beast Arms Company and he told me I need to use my 223 can NOT either of my rimfire cans.

Baffle strikes and or ruined or blown up suppressors will wreck your day in a hurry. Best of luck with your purchase/s.

Everyone has there personal preference/s. I always want a suppressor that is known for being accurate by design and is light weight. I'm very partial to TBAC suppressors and since TBAC has come out with their "Ultra" series of cans, if I were to do all over again, I would get the new Ultra 7 and skip the 223P-2. The Ultra 7 is a little more expensive but it's not only shorter but it's lighter than my 223P-2 and would allow for use on a wider variety of calibers. As for rimfire cans, I love both my TBAC rimfire suppressors. In rimfire cans, the Spectre II would be my second choice.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Can a supressor result in decreased accuracy? I only have factor ammo since it is a rimfire and cannot play with load development.

It has the sporter barrel.

Originally Posted By: MPHThanks, guys.

Can a supressor result in decreased accuracy? I only have factor ammo since it is a rimfire and cannot play with load development.

It has the sporter barrel.

It's possible but it shouldn't if they build it right. I think some manufacturers do a better job of this than others, with TBAC being one of the companies that does a better job of it.

If you already have or are looking to purchase the skinny, sporter barrel Bmag, like I said before, I don't think there is a large enough muzzle diameter on those sporter barrels that will give the proper amount of shoulder for a suppressor to mate up against. Does that mean it can't be threaded and have a can screwed on the end, no, but I wouldn't do it.

One option, depending on the taper of the barrel, would be to measure the diameter a few inches back from the muzzle. Check it 4 inches back and see what the dia. is because as the barrel gets closer to the chamber, it gets larger in diameter. Also, the shorter the barrel the stiffer it gets and that's a good thing, too.

On my new heavy barrel stainless Bmag, I had my gunsmith that is doing the threading, cut 2 inches off before he threads it so what was a 22 inch HBSS Bmag, is now a threaded 20 inch HBSS Bmag.
smile.gif

FWIW, I wouldn't spend any amount of money on the sporter barrel Bmag's. The heavy barrel stainless with the total POS stock, like I bought, is the least that I would go with. Then I'd throw away the POS plastic stock and order a Boyds for it, which is also what I did.

BUT, and this only applies if you're right handed, is to go straight for the Savage Bmag target model with the thumbhole stock. You get the HB stainless and a pretty decent stock for $439.38+shipping&transfer but you'll at least have something you can work with, right out of the box. I bought my HBSS w/POS stock locally for $339+8.7% sales tax and at the time Savage had a $25 mail in rebate. Then I bought a Boyds Pro Varmint with metal trigger guard from DIP Inc. for $134. The only "Target" model I could find when I bought my Bmag was well over $550 which is why I went the way I did but if I could have bought the target model for $439 like you can now, that's what I'd have bought from the get go.

https://www.defenderoutdoors.com/p-94668-sav-96972-bmag-ss-th-17-wsm.aspx

Thanks everyone...I appreciate your experience and advice. I have the B Mag Target and it is built with the thinner barrel.

We are running our B-mag with the SWR spectre II .22 lr can. I called silencerCO before I tried it and they said go ahead and run it.

Originally Posted By: wyomanWe are running our B-mag with the SWR spectre II .22 lr can. I called silencerCO before I tried it and they said go ahead and run it.

Spectre II is a great can and the only reason I didn't go with it was its weight. With the 5.7x28 running at much higher pressure than the 17 WSM, you'd sure think any rimfire suppressor that is 5.7x28 rated should be good to go on the 17 WSM. But, you know what happens when we assume. I'd say it was a wise choice to call and confirm.

Originally Posted By: wyomanWe are running our B-mag with the SWR spectre II .22 lr can. I called silencerCO before I tried it and they said go ahead and run it.

How does it sound? I have several Spectre II's. Sound any different than a SS 22LR round?

As you know...the Spectre II is a good can. It sounds a little louder than a SS 22lr but not much. I was surprised how quite it was when we tried it on the 17 wsm. Makes for a pretty lightweight set up.

Originally Posted By: wyomanAs you know...the Spectre II is a good can. It sounds a little louder than a SS 22lr but not much. I was surprised how quite it was when we tried it on the 17 wsm. Makes for a pretty lightweight set up.

Have you by chance run your Spectre II on a 17 HMR and if so, is the 17 WSM much louder?? Thanks

I have a Spec II, Used it on 17HMR, FN57 and 22Mag.
The 17HMR wasn't to loud, mostly sonic crack. Less then s suppressed 556 with a 556 can. More then a 22LR.
The FN57 was the loudest, about on par with a 556 to maybe a little louder.

I have not shot it on a 17 hmr. I haven't gotten around to threading the barrel. You all should have warned me before I jumped into the suppressor market that after buying suppressors all barrels need to be threaded because I don't want to shoot anymore unsuppressed.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wyomanI have not shot it on a 17 hmr. I haven't gotten around to threading the barrel. You all should have warned me before I jumped into the suppressor market that after buying suppressors all barrels need to be threaded because I don't want to shoot anymore unsuppressed.
smile.gif

It's a dark, quiet path. That will Keep you up at night thinking about what suppressed weapon you need next😜😜

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wyomanI have not shot it on a 17 hmr. I haven't gotten around to threading the barrel. You all should have warned me before I jumped into the suppressor market that after buying suppressors all barrels need to be threaded because I don't want to shoot anymore unsuppressed.
smile.gif

The dang things are like eating potato chips, you can't just have one! lol

Question....can you take a skinny barrel Bmag and thread it to whatever , then screw on and adaptor to accept a suppressor?

a silencer needs a good square shoulder to screw up against. after being threaded to 1/2-28 i dont think a skinny barrel bmag barrel would have enough shoulder. barrel is pretty small at the end.

I think it would be inadvisable to hang a suppressor from a skinny sporterweight B-Mag barrel anyway. That particular model is well known for having accuracy issues, attributed to the thin barrel, since the heavy barrel models shoot far better. Hang a heavy can out on the end, and that whip is only going to get worse.

Back