Scope Power for 1000-1500 yards

dpollard

I've been getting into longer range shooting recently. Prior to yesterday my furthest distance was about 917 yards, which I was able to hit my target and have clarity in scope fairly easily. I am currently using a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44. This is a second focal plane scope. Trying to decide if my equipment is lacking or I just need more practice or a combination of the two.

Yesterday I went out to a place where we were able to stretch out to 1275 yards and were shooting at a silhouette target about 12"x14" This is where my scope began to fail me, I think. We got started fairly early in the morning to help eliminate mirage. Even so, I found at this distance I had a very hard time getting a crisp sight picture through my scope at 16x power. Parallax was adjusted correctly. I did see some mirage in the target but I am not sure that mirage was 100% to blame. I am wondering if I was not getting a consistent hold point on the target since it was not crisp in my glass. I would shoot and just barely miss the target, make a minor adjustment and shoot WAY off to one side or another and the wind wasn't changing really at all.

The buddy I was shooting with is convinced I was having trouble because my scope was under magnified and not first focal plane. He said I need at least 20 power. I don't agree or disagree with him but want to look into this more. For reference, he was running a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 set at 20 power and was banging the steel with ease. Our shooting abilities are the same when it comes to shooting longer range.

For those of you that have experience actually shooting at these distances, what magnification range have you found to be best and are you using FFP or SFP scopes?

A reticle in FFP is not going to make the scope clearer.
FFP or SFP both have advantages depending on the type(s) of shooting you are doing.
What is your rifle chambered in?
A Sightron S-III 6-24 is more than adequate for the shooting you are doing. More magnification and better glass.

Originally Posted By: xphunterA reticle in FFP is not going to make the scope clearer.
FFP or SFP both have advantages depending on the type(s) of shooting you are doing.
What is your rifle chambered in?
A Sightron S-III 6-24 is more than adequate for the shooting you are doing. More magnification and better glass.

It's a .260.

I think its more in the glass. Good glass is good glass, weather it be FFP or SFP. I run a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 in FFP and have a clear clean picture at long ranges. It seems to me that a FFP needs less magnification, but that's just me.

I agree with Tug. I've shot a mile with a scope that went to 20 or 25 but the rifles owner had the scope set at 16 and I hit the target 2 out of 3 times. The scope was a S&B PMII.

Yeah u need better glass quality. And finer turret adjustments if you dial correction in at 1000yards. The Sighton S3 Series are great scopes. So is March, S&B, Nightforce, just to name a few. Some people like 50x for 1000 yard. Really it all depends on what you like.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the responses. After thinking on this for a few days I tend to agree that it is mostly a function of glass quality more than anything else. I've loved the scope for out to just under 1000 yards but I think I've found its limitation.

Someone a while back in another similar thread made a comment about a scope only being as good as your eyes are also.
When was the last time you had an eye exam?

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHSomeone a while back in another similar thread made a comment about a scope only being as good as your eyes are also.
When was the last time you had an eye exam?

I would disagree. You take a Nikon and a Nightforce and look through them... Well...that's not your eyes.. That's glass!

Read this and see if it helps you. About 1/2 way down he has the long range scope test link also. This guy really put time in testing scopes. I'm trying to find another story I read about where scope glass comes from, and what manufacturers used the same glass. It was eye opening. There aren't a lot of glass makers in the world. It comes down to coatings and turret trueness for most shooters. But different people do see better through different scopes also.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/03/07...es-to-look-for/

Originally Posted By: dpollard
xphunter said:
A reticle in FFP is not going to make the scope clearer.

Good advice

Originally Posted By: dpollardThanks all for the responses. After thinking on this for a few days I tend to agree that it is mostly a function of glass quality more than anything else. I've loved the scope for out to just under 1000 yards but I think I've found its limitation.

+1

As a follow up to this thread, I am actually now in the market for new glass. Currently considering the Vortex Razor 5-20x50 or the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50. Both are FFP. Any input on these two scopes in terms of glass quality?

The Vortex Razor is very nice. You might be able to pick up a used Gen 1 for a song. Can't comment much on the Bushy, but.. I hear they are tuff. Eather way I don't think you will be disappointed. Try and get your paws on a few of them before you drop the big bucks.

Best of luck.

Good advice. I am heading to a local shop to today to check out the Gen 1 Razor. They are still available for around $1600 or $1700 but better deals can be had. Those are just the minimum advertised prices set by the dealer. I have not seen many on the used market but will now be paying more attention.

Somebody go buy my AR pistol in the classifieds quick so I can buy this new scope
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury I'm trying to find another story I read about where scope glass comes from, and what manufacturers used the same glass. It was eye opening. There aren't a lot of glass makers in the world.

i think it was a thread on here that you may be thinking of. within the past 4 months iirc.

Back