22 cal hornady 60gr hp

Man, I have not tried those in years. Did not shoot with a crap out of my 1-14" .220 Swift I know that. I bet a 1-12" would shoot them great though. For sure a 1-10" no doubt.

14 twist should be plenty for them. they are right between 50 and 55gr vmax for length. The small sample I measured is .797-.799" in length. Sierra's 60gr hp measures a tad shorter at .781-.783" and they shoot in a 14 twist.

Using 60GR Hornady spire points(hollow point) for deer and coyote hunting. Deadly on deer, accuracy excellent!! Pushing them out of my Savage model 10 at 3200FPS. Went to this round because Wyoming demands it of 22 Center fire rifles for deer(and mountain lion) I'm really happy with the results. Brother shot a white tail doe two years ago, offhand, 125 yards. Went through and through at the shoulder; passing through the spine as well. Popped a 'yote two years back with the round; down, not even a twitch. Hope this helps. Long range use(over 200 yards for me) no idea how it performs.

I had a Ruger #1V in .22-250 that had a very long throat. I played around with the 60 pills from Hornady and Nosler while trying to get close to the rifling. They shot as well as, but not better than, the 50-55 grainers that I had been using. I went beck to 52 grain Speer HPs and Hornady 55 grain SPs, because of the better availability. The Ruger was 1 in 14 and shot them well with no keyholeing. This was on groundhogs. I have not tried them on deer, since that was not legal then.

I shoot the 60gr sierra HP bullets in my cz223 they shoot half inch to an inch five shot groups.they hammer coyotes but you will get an exit.never tried the Hornandy bullets they have never shot as well.

had a chance to test them out on sat morning. I went to a different range and was thoroughly unimpressed with their benches. I would have been more stable using a card table with 1 short leg!
thumbdown.gif

That said I ended up turning out 2 charge weights that show some potential. These were shot in my 20in 8 twist 223 using ar comp and cci 41 primer all seated to 2.290. The lower left 55sbk group was my control group that I fired after the first 3 of 60gr hornady. I have honestly never shot such a bad group with that load and Im blaming it all on the wobbly table.
tt2.gif

0525151925_zpsirm5jhbw.jpg

0525151926_zpsplfjpeuy.jpg

Caliper was zeroed on a bullet to measure center to center. I also shot 4 rounds at 25.3gr ar comp on another target and that was the other promising group. I had 3 rounds at about 1/2in and on the 4th the table rocked throwing the shot low a 1/2in or better...I know excuses excuses. Anyway I got to talking with the guy next to me and forgot to walk down for my target before I left.

I will be loading some up at 24.5gr to test on fur and if I get good results I will re-evaluate the load for improvement. I also plan on trying these in a 22-250 or 2 at some point down the road.

I have shot hundreds of the 60grs with 26 gr or 2230c in my ar with a 1/9 twist they were always under 1 inch groups. they really work on those big Montana dogs.

I used the same bullet only in a 220 Swift, it was devastating on groundhogs, buddy of mine used the Hornady in his 22-250 with pretty much the same results.Originally Posted By: LexI shoot the 60gr sierra HP bullets in my cz223 they shoot half inch to an inch five shot groups.they hammer coyotes but you will get an exit.never tried the Hornandy bullets they have never shot as well.

Back