80 % LOWERS

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or
possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic
rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In
addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An
application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18
U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

You cannot sell a homemade firearm as above, "not for resale" means just that. Class II is a manufactured NFA firearm and that is exactly what you will have if you possess or install any three of the five fire control group parts of an M-16/M-4 {disconnector, hammer, bolt carrier, safety selector, trigger.} So many parts kits contain these, it is easy to do and not realize. As long as you have the proper AR-15 parts installed then no problem. It appears that by and of itself, just the working lower is O.K. and no, I do not feel like this should be illegal or wrong. State laws still have to be followed. For some reason the communist democrat state I live in regards a bare lower as a "firearm" {handgun} I guess because you can build it as a pistol. The Maryland State police handle all of the registrations of "firearms" {once again here that means pistol or handgun} here and will still require a serial number and state registration if built as a pistol or having a barrel shorter than 20 inches {again so nobody gets their panties all knotted up, in Maryland}

Legal issue wise, O.K. I was wrong...been wrong before and I am still here. Yours to get over, or not. Stand there and suck your thumb long enough and I am sure somebody will come along and blow fairy dust up your skirts to make it all better.

Legal issues or not, there is no getting around the cost. It cost more time and more money, it cannot be sold and it is questionable at best whether or not the end result will last as long or work as good as a professionally manufactured part. If, on the other hand, it does something for you to believe by spending more money and more time in obtaining something for yourself that will be inferior yet you believe gets you around unfair communist democrat rules and regulations then do it and be happy.

Actually you can sell a home made firearm. If a 80% lower is finished correctly, which is easy. It will last as long as a factory lower. 80% lowers make great donor lowers for other firearms.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) permits an unlicensed individual to make a firearm for personal use, but not for sale or distribution. However, the law does not explicitly preclude an unlicensed person from later selling, giving away, or otherwise transferring a homemade firearm to another person as long as it was originally intended for personal use. A gun explicitly made for personal use can be sold or transferred in the same way that a factory-made firearm of that same class can be sold or transferred.

Back