new reloader in need of help

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaHornady and Winchester brass usually doesn't have a crimped primer hole. All military brass will have a crimped primer hole unless you bought it from a brass outlet and they have reworked the brass. It will say fully reconditioned and ready to reload. If you get some military brass from someone or find some you will notice that when deprimeing the primer will come out a little harder. You can use a deburring tool or RCBS makes a die for military brass. It is called primer pocket swager combo die. Part # 09495 it does 308 and 223 military brass. Works pretty good. I usually have a few that I follow up on with the reamer. Also measure your brass length after you have resized in case you have to trim to correct length or you will have trouble getting bolt to close. Rudy

Rudy is right I use the reconditioned brass sometimes and it makes it quicker for me. The info you have been given is all good. All these guys are trying to help. The RCBS tool is one of the best. You have to weigh out your time. What is your time worth? Rather than fool with things, I chose to go another route, and let someone else do it. I would rather be hunting or shooting. I also usually do 1000 at a time. ( loads that is )

I actually enjoy the reloading process, well everything except trimming brass. Usually I reload during the winter when the weather is too nasty to be outside and it gets dark early. Batching cases is the way to go. I might size a couple hundred at a sitting and then trim them during the next sitting. Then I will prime, powder and seat the bullets in a sitting. The system works well for me on a single stage press.

The NRA has a beginners course on reloading.
I encourage all new to reloading to take it.

Join the NRA and a local rifle club.

Back