Any luck with the 69gr TMK?

shelton573

As some of you probably read, my 75 gr. A-Max adventure a little while back failed miserably. I would still like to try shooting the heavier 22 cal bullets in my 223 and was just curious if anyone has had good luck with the new tipped match king? If you shoot them, have you shot any groundhogs, coyotes, etc. with them? If not the tipped version, does the regular 69 gr SMK put the smack down on the furry critters? Any info is much appreciated!

**Forgot to add the rifle is a savage 11 in 223 with a 1:9 twist barrel.

Shelton

Last edited:
Sierra's MK line always seem to shoot really well but considering they have a thickish jacket and small meplat, they often tend to just pencil or spear through with not always the best expansion. It's possible the "tipped" version could help accelerate expansion but unless you hit something hard like bone, to drive that tip into the bullet and force open the jacket, you won't get that rapidly expanding affect like you will with a Blitz King or Hornady Vmax. Doesn't mean they don't kill stuff but shot placement will be of more importance.

I've shot quite a few coyotes with Berger 75gr VLD's out of a 22-6mm and they worked pretty well but they have a thinner jacket than the MK's and those 75gr Berger's were humping along at 3600fps, too.

Thanks for the reply B23! I am still throwing around the idea of trying some 70 VLDs. I got a couple responses from folks that say they have had good luck with them on the VLD thread I started. With your 75s, do the bullets pass trough or do they typically come apart at that speed?

Shelton

Originally Posted By: tnshootistThe Blitz king shoots just as good for me and I think it has a better BC than regular MK. It is better for hunting in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply! What grain blitz king?

Shelton

They shoot really well out of my rifle so I'm going to stick with them for a while. I was able to use them on a coyote for the first time this morning. It was a head shot at around 80 yards or so, any bullet probably would have sufficed.

small guy..
tmp_11916-0610150739a1909843177_zpscg8lvc4m.jpg

I believe this is the enterance wound, I couldn't find any exit..

tmp_11916-06101507441861377093_zpsxpm54c6a.jpg

Not sure if it helps, but that's all the experience I have with them so far.

Originally Posted By: shelton573Thanks for the reply B23! I am still throwing around the idea of trying some 70 VLDs. I got a couple responses from folks that say they have had good luck with them on the VLD thread I started. With your 75s, do the bullets pass trough or do they typically come apart at that speed?

Shelton

They tend to make a pretty big mess of things. I definitely say they were NOT fur friendly.

FWIW, I'm not sure a 1-9tw tube on a 223 would be fast enough for the 75's. Also, have you given any thought to shooting something like the 55gr BlitzKing or 53Vmax, instead? My go to yote/varmint gun is a 223ai w/1-9tw 22in Hart barrel and all I shoot in it is the 53Vmax. They work exceptionally well for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: B23 ...I definitely say they were NOT fur friendly...
Curiuos, is this based on your own TMK kills, or the pic above ?

I believe he's talking about the 75 VLDs out of his 22x6mm

Originally Posted By: Redleg84They shoot really well out of my rifle so I'm going to stick with them for a while. I was able to use them on a coyote for the first time this morning. It was a head shot at around 80 yards or so, any bullet probably would have sufficed.

small guy..
tmp_11916-0610150739a1909843177_zpscg8lvc4m.jpg

I believe this is the enterance wound, I couldn't find any exit..

tmp_11916-06101507441861377093_zpsxpm54c6a.jpg

Not sure if it helps, but that's all the experience I have with them so far.

Thanks for the reply and good shooting! Good looking dog too...the one still on his paws, not the one with the extra hole in its head!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: shelton573Thanks for the reply B23! I am still throwing around the idea of trying some 70 VLDs. I got a couple responses from folks that say they have had good luck with them on the VLD thread I started. With your 75s, do the bullets pass trough or do they typically come apart at that speed?

Shelton

They tend to make a pretty big mess of things. I definitely say they were NOT fur friendly.

FWIW, I'm not sure a 1-9tw tube on a 223 would be fast enough for the 75's. Also, have you given any thought to shooting something like the 55gr BlitzKing or 53Vmax, instead? My go to yote/varmint gun is a 223ai w/1-9tw 22in Hart barrel and all I shoot in it is the 53Vmax. They work exceptionally well for me.

I guarantee the 75s wont work if they play out anything like the 75 A-Max did...didn't even touch the 24"x24" cardboard I was shooting at with a couple of the three shot groups! The 70 gr vld is what I was looking at for my rifle. They call for a 1:9 twist. My only concern is if the 223 will give it enough speed to open up real well. And I'm not saving fur, I like the shock and awe shots lol. I currently have a load with the 53 gr v-max worked up that shoots about a .5-.75 moa that I use now. Just wanted to branch out and try something a bit heavier out of the little round. I got some 110 vmax loaded up for the 270 when I want to get real serious with it
thumbup1.gif

Shelton

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: B23 ...I definitely say they were NOT fur friendly...
Curiuos, is this based on your own TMK kills, or the pic above ?

Yes, I was talking about my personal experience with 75gr Berger in a 22-6mm.

Shelton, have you had a chance to shoot anything with your 53 Vmax loads?

They sure do make a mess of things, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: B23Shelton, have you had a chance to shoot anything with your 53 Vmax loads?

They sure do make a mess of things, that's for sure.

I have shot a hand full of coyotes with them and 3 groundhogs. One of the coyotes this winter got up and took off after I dumped him at 60 yds. Never seen a coyote drop so hard but it was my fault. My buddy's AR misfired because the bolt wasn't all the way forward so I swung over quick and rushed the shot and smacked him in the shoulder apparently. We followed his blood trail until it ran out and never found him. The others were DRT. I shot 2 groundhogs last year and nearly turned them inside out. I shot one this spring with them and it penciled through her. It killed the chit out of her, but there was a 22 cal hole in and slightly bigger coming out. Must have tip toed past every bone on the way I guess!

Shelton

Shelton

That sounds like pretty good success to me. Now, remind me why you wanna go messing with a different bullet again..... lol

You can also try the NBTs as well, I had better luck with them than I did with the vmax. The 60gr version seems to shoot better than the 55gr in my ARs. They work really well, even in my SBR

Originally Posted By: B23That sounds like pretty good success to me. Now, remind me why you wanna go messing with a different bullet again..... lol

You ever live in iowa?! Not much to do between May to late September haha! Just kinda starting to get bored.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: Redleg84You can also try the NBTs as well, I had better luck with them than I did with the vmax. The 60gr version seems to shoot better than the 55gr in my ARs. They work really well, even in my SBR

Might have to give them a try. My buddy had good luck with them and blitzkings in his AR. I bet they would prolly do pretty good out of my savage!

Shelton

Here's a thread over in the AR sub-forum that you may or may not have seen. Only one coyote kill in there but lots of other info. I posted a cutaway picture of a 69 TMK compared to some other bullets.

I have high hopes for them for use on coyotes. The TMKs shoot the same POA/POI and accuracy as the regular SMKs do in my 1:8 twist AR.

Originally Posted By: simojoHere's a thread over in the AR sub-forum that you may or may not have seen. Only one coyote kill in there but lots of other info. I posted a cutaway picture of a 69 TMK compared to some other bullets.

I have high hopes for them for use on coyotes. The TMKs shoot the same POA/POI and accuracy as the regular SMKs do in my 1:8 twist AR.

What is the title of the thread?

Shelton

Back