First Double!!!

batman1262

Hot dang! Merle and Ava got thier first double! Went out yesterday evening after supper and made a stand! When I got there they had cleared an extra 100 acres and had dozer piles all over. Appearently they did this last fall because grass and weeds had the place haired over! I said to myself, "self, this looks good!" Set the caller 50 yards out in front of me, Merle found a mud hole to wallar in, and gave it a second or two while I checked for snakes in the pile I was to hide in. Started with 3 long howls, Thanks to Will Horting's cow horn I bought few weeks ago, and bout 30 seconds after last howl the swamp to my right erupted with barks and howls! They sounded to be 500-600 yrds out! I stayed quiet for 5 mins, felt like eternity, and nothing showed! Little canine pups on the foxpro and BOOM , 600 yards out right in front of me 2 hard chargers! Quick check in the scope and yep it the yotes! At 250 yrds I give Merle the sssk, ssk, sssk! He pounced out infront of me and and looked around and didnt see them! But they seen him and went to hyper gear, charging and full dead run! Ava, pup, setting at heal lets out a bark and growl! Merle looks where she is looking an sees them at 100ish yrds and meets them half way! Round and round they go. One finally got a mouth on Merles posterior and that pissed him off! He grabbed one by back leg and shook the stuffings out of it, all the while second yote was nawing on Merles backend. Merle let go to deal with #2 and #1 limped out to the side. Good shot opportunity, squeeze and nothing, dadgum safety was on! Finally rushed shot, yote completely filled scope, made a moving shot and gut shot the first! Look up over the scope and yote #2 is headed out. Merle runs over to the gut shot yote and grabs him by the neck and starts shaking! Growling, blood flying, guts slinging; yote #2 puts on the brakes and comes back for more! Merle drops the gutshot cripple and starts a stare down with yote #2. Shot opporrtunity, BANG DRT!

I jump up and try to get Ava to engage the mortally cripple and it dies before I can get her on it! I am out of breath and shaking like a leaf! I dont get this kind of action here in KY very often. I would give anything to have the opportunities you western guys have! The yotes lay at 35 yrds and 52 yrds. No wonder they filled the scope!

As for today, I' am gonna sit back and drink my beer and pet my dogs! GOD IS GOOD!

Reason I am not in the pic is because the dogs did all this, I just shot the gun! But this is my first ever double!!!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Gun is a savage mod 12 in 22-250. Hornaday Superformance 50gr Vmax! Nasty! As for the dogs, Merle is the larger Aussie that is red merle but has alot of blood guts and $hit on him and wallered in a mud hole. He is 1.5 years old. Ava is the little Catahoula Cur that is 6 months and full of grit. She didnt get fully engaged, but she is still rather young. Plus, she was the first of the dogs to see them and sound the alarm for Merle!

Cleaner pic of merle with another yote from last fall.

WTG & the good ones learn quick, what its all about..
I had a Brittney that loved to hunt grouse, up in Mich., he knew !!

Congrats to you & the dogs, on getting the double!!!
I enjoyed how you told the story. Your excitement really came across well, IMHO!!
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!

For your first double you seemed to hold it together once the lead started flying;) sounds like an intense couple minutes...

"Blood flying and guts slinging"!

Very nice write-up... The excitement came across well
thumbup1.gif

Shook up would be an understatement! It was ths same feeling I had after shooting a 150" 10 point in full velvet with my bow! I seriously couldnt get out of stand for 20 mins due to weak knees. I was shaking so bad that I was having hard time taking the pics! THIS is why I hunt!

Infidel, if I hadnt taken advice from Scott Hampton, I prolly would not have held it together as well. He told me when I was trying to train the dogs let the coyotes train the dog...meaning let it all happen. When I wrote round and round they go, well that part took some time. Kinda reminded me of teenage boys playing grabass with the pretty girls! It wsnt until Merle got bit that it escaladed in a hurry, and I decided it was time to shoot.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Congrats to you & the dogs, on getting the double!!!
I enjoyed how you told the story. Your excitement really came across well, IMHO!!
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!
anytime you start a post with "HOT DANG" You know excitement is forthecoming. That put a smile on my face from the get go.

Welcome. Just right click on the picture, select "save picture as", this should open your pictures program, give the picture a file name, then left click "save" and it's yours.

Regards,
hm

Back