1000yd

Hard to beat a 7mm rem mag! Took mine to 1350 a few weeks aga on am looking for a place to shoot a mile soon. Components are easy to find and it's a great round!

What kind of application? Just saying 1,000yrds isn't very helpful. If recoil and/or rifle weight and powder cost don't matter to you, then a big case magnums in 7mm, 300, or 338 that will throw a bullet with a BC over .6 and you'll be happy. 338Lap, 300win mag, 7mm rem mag or 7wsm.

For less cost and less recoil, over .5 BC 6mm and 6.5's. I don't have a 260, but have tinkered with one this year that's very pleasant shooting at long range. 6.5-284 has made me very happy, as has a straight 284win and 284 shehane.

Just want to shoot steel out to 1000. Would hope to shoot half minute or better in good conditions. I think a faster twist on the .243 rifle I already have is the best bet for me. I would like to build a .260 sometime. I have a Remington action that could be ok for that. So little time, even less money. I have had good luck with my .243 to 700 but I think a heaver bullet might help going on out, if I can even find a place around here to get 1000. Of course once we shoot that we will be looking for more. Lots of good opinions here and can't say I would disagree with any point made.

I think if you want a 260 you should build one. I love mine! But there is a lot of stuff that will shoot 1000 yards. The Hornady 140gr BTHP is a lot cheaper than Berger's to shoot. I just picked up my Victronix range finder, so.. This week I'm going to see how far the 260 will go
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tugboaterIt will go 1250 yrds no problem!!!

Gotta have a good range finder when you get way out there.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: tugboaterIt will go 1250 yrds no problem!!!

Gotta have a good range finder when you get way out there.
thumbup1.gif

Yep....Victronix Terrapin. It was 12 mills of elavation with a 123gr Amax
smile.gif
that range finder is legit!

Originally Posted By: tugboater
smile.gif

I figured that's what you were talking about.
Congrats on finding one for sale!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: tugboater
smile.gif

I figured that's what you were talking about.
Congrats on finding one for sale!!
thumbup.gif

smile.gif
I know how's got another for sale....

Originally Posted By: tugboaterIt will go 1250 yrds no problem!!!

Good deal. If you don't mind me asking what kind of accuracy was you getting at that distance.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistOriginally Posted By: tugboaterIt will go 1250 yrds no problem!!!

Good deal. If you don't mind me asking what kind of accuracy was you getting at that distance.

Well.. I was shooting at a rock the size of a trash can lid,or maybe a little smaller. I could see hits through the scope, and I didn't want to walk out there in 90 degree heat to look at group size. It didn't matter that much to me. That's still a small target at that range.

Long walk for sure. They mowed the hay off my field so I can shoot my 700 yd steel now. That's farther than I want to walk in the heat. I ride the 4 wheel to the target. If I could shoot from one end to the other of the field I could get a little over 1100yd but there is a road goes through. The trajectory of the bullet would be over any cars but I think it would still make people a little nervous. I am lucky to have a place to shoot right in front of the house but it would be nice to have unlimited distance.

Stay away from the 26 nobler by the time you find a load for 1000yd shooting the barrel will be half used up.the Creedmoor or 260 is a great place to start.

Originally Posted By: LexStay away from the 26 nobler by the time you find a load for 1000yd shooting the barrel will be half used up.the Creedmoor or 260 is a great place to start.

Thats funny my buddy shoots factory Nosler ammo in his and shot an elk at 946 yrds with his last year. But I guess it must burn the barrel up faster than I thought. Lol

Look at a tikka t3 ctr in .260. I see them for $820 new plus shipping. They use the trg magazine, and that could be a drawback to some because of the price. But it's a 10 round detachable that a lot of people say these are shooters. I can't find a bad story about them. I'm really looking at picking one of these up myself. Or a t3 varmint in 22-250 I found for $625 in blued. These both have the thicker barrel and a better stock than the Tupperware remmy type stocks.

I shoot a 338 norma mag and 300match king bullet is still super sonic at 1 mile. It got me in the 1500 yard club. We are on a mission to get in the 2000 yard club hope I live long enough!

Back