worth it to get a .17 Mach 2

ILPredHunter12

Good evening. Had a quick question for you guys. Came across a really good deal on a CZ 452-2E .17 Mach 2. Is this round even available or would I be better off going with an HMR or WSM? Never had a .17 of any flavor, so this whole .17 thing is new to me. Help a rook out here.

Thanks guys, ILPred

What is your intended purpose for it? I have a CZ 17M2 and its a very accurate rifle my favorite for squirrel's and such, I've even taken a pile of groundhogs with it but mostly at 75 yards and under and all head shots I just don't trust it on a body shot on some of these big chucks.
Ammo is scarce to nonexistent around here luckily when I got mine it came with a few thousand round's.
I wouldn't even consider it for coyotes my Bigger 17's are a much better choice

I would probably just use to to shoot groundhogs, squirrels, and I would maybe fox hunt with it. I don't know if it would have enough pop to kill one or not. The 17M2 ammo is also very scarce in my area as well. I'm thinking that is why the guy who previously had the rifle took it to the gun store. Thanks for the input. Would really like a .17 because I've seen some of the other threads on here of people talking about their .17's. So now I have to have one
smile.gif

Ammo is hard to get and may become non-existant at some point. Just my opinion.. If you want a 17 thats not going anywhere and you can hunt squirrels and chucks and still have the capability to kill a fox, I would suggest a hmr for you.. The hm2 is a neat little cartridge to play with and only shoot small game but its pretty much obsolete.

I am shooting one right now in a Marlin 917V w/ Bushnell 4-12(cheep!). I am using it at a farm on starlings and pigeons. It blows big holes in both, shots ~ 85-100yds. Crazy accurate and real quiet- more of a snap sound than a .22lr. I like it so much I also bought a CZ like yours ,but have not set it up yet.
I've been shooting about fifty rounds a week from an old stash and down to ten boxes now but way worth it!
Over on Rimfirecentral posters claim the ammo guys are gonna make a run soon.
Don't use the .22s for hunting much after buying a Mach2 .
IMHO an under rated round.

Thanks for the opinion. It's hard to pass up a great deal on a rifle though, so I had to ask. Thinking I'll be choosing from a WSM and HMR. Does a WSM offer any more or less advantages than say the HMR? Or would you go with the HMR hands down?

Even during the worst of the lean times I still saw hmr ammo on the shelves. The wsm has some ballistic advantages but ammo is scarce. The hm2 would have likely done better if they had introduced it before the hmr. It was an improvement (debateable I know) over the .22lr. But it was lacking compared to the hmr that had already gained a following.

As someone who LOVES the 17HM2 (17 Mach2), I would say go with the 17HMR. I am seriously considering getting out of the 17HM2 completely, just because of the other options now available. There are many accurate bolt-action rifles available, a couple of semi-auto rifles and many choices of ammunition. Hornady is stuck on the 17HM2 until CCI decides to make a run for them. Even if there is a once-a-year run of 17HM2, the prices will probably be at the 17HMR level from now on. With the 17WSM now readily available, at good prices, my thoughts are to stick with the HMR and the WSM.

This is coming from a guy who currently owns three 17HM2 rifles...

Eric

Thanks for the opinion! I think I'm deff set on either a WSM or HMR. Seems like you can get an HMR bolt gun at a reasonable price just about anywhere. The same place that has the CZ 17HM2 also has a WSM, but it is a B-Mag and I'm not a fan of those. Do you happen to know, does one or the other offer any better accuracy than the other? Are they about the same? I know ballistics are different. Just trying to get some more info from experienced people.

Thanks for all of the opinions guys! I appreciate all of them!

If you know where to look, the price difference between 17 HMR and 17 WSM is only about 75 cents a box.

I just looked and you can get about as much 17HMR as you want for $12.25-$12.50 and the 17 WSM was $12.77 and up. Granted, it takes purchasing a few boxes to off set the cost of shipping but when it comes to rimfires, I typically don't buy one box at a time no matter where I get it and when you're talking about a $5-$5+ per box savings, it pays for the shipping pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: ILPredHunter12Thanks for the opinion! I think I'm deff set on either a WSM or HMR. Seems like you can get an HMR bolt gun at a reasonable price just about anywhere. The same place that has the CZ 17HM2 also has a WSM, but it is a B-Mag and I'm not a fan of those. Do you happen to know, does one or the other offer any better accuracy than the other? Are they about the same? I know ballistics are different. Just trying to get some more info from experienced people.

Thanks for all of the opinions guys! I appreciate all of them!

I'd say a CZ in 17 HMR would be your best bet and I would recommend springing for one of their heavy barrel models, too

Thanks! I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a CZ .17 HMR. I'm starting to see .17 WSM on the shelves just about everywhere so it's a tough one still. Thinking I'm going to go with the .HMR based on the price of the rifle and the ammo. I can get it just about anywhere also.

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry for the dumb questions!

Happy hunting and thanks a bunch,

ILPred

Also, I'd add, your options for purchasing a 17HMR with a decent stock are much greater and your chances of getting one that shoots well, right out of the box, are better with the HMR than they are with the WSM.

I bought one used when rimfire ammo got hard to find. Apparently no one around me owns them cause the ammo was in stock everywhere. I shot it for a couple years till it got easier to feed my 22mag, 17HMR and .22LR's again and I sold it. It was a very accurate rifle and I really liked it, just didn't see the need for it when I had a HMR and could get ammo again.

If I had to choose one, the CZ 17 HMR would be it. I would like to have a Mach 2 simply because I don't have one, and maybe it might make a decent squirrel getter. But from experience I can say the HMR is a fine round, and in the CZ platform it's just too sweet.

That's a beauty of a rifle! I recently bought a CZ .243 and love it, would def buy another CZ in a heartbeat. I think I will try to find a CZ .17 HMR.

Nice rife 6!

Happy hunting and thanks,

ILPred

Back