22-250 vs 223 vs 243 for varmints

ohihunter2014

so I just recently got into woodchuck and coyote hunting rural Ohio and have a savage 223 heavy barrel. I really didn't give any other caliber much thought because of the cost of 223 ammo but now seeing how short my shots have to be for the 223 I'm thinking of a faster caliber for longer shots. imo 250 is the max for a 223 on anything woodchuck or coyote. I have another savage 223 I was thinking of re barreling to 22-250 or 243 for the extra speed and reach, so what's your thoughts? stick with what I have or go bigger?

The 22-250 and 243 will definitely pack a little bigger punch past 300 yds. I usually carry my 223 when coyote hunting because its lighter and use my 22-250 for groundhog just cause I like how hard it hits em and it's nice for laying out on the bipod (very heavy). If you rebarrel the 223, depending on what model savage, to one of the other calibers you will have to change more than just the barrel...barrel, bolt head, mag, etc. Someone with a lot more experience than me can chime in on that portion though. I think on groundhogs the 223 will stretch out much farther than 250 and I think a lot of people will tell you the same for coyotes. I have never shot a coyote over 250 with my 223 but would not be afraid to do it.

Last edited:
I figured just re barrel the other 223 this way I don't have to fool with selling the other 223 and buying another gun.

my old 223 is a savage axis sporter barrel.

Have you thought about a 6X45? You could rebarrel the 223 to that easily. Load up some rounds and use it for 58gr Vmax to the deer rounds in the 100 gr range.

I personally wouldn't hesitate and don't to shoot a 223 at 500 yrds. I had to do that in the Marines with Open sights once a year or so for the range.

The 223, yep, they tea kettle over, and drop with a 53vmax no issue. My friend uses SP bullets and they run around in a circle and then usually drop within 20 or so yrds of the impact. (i am just not a fan of SPs)

But the Marines and Army uses the 5.56 and load data on FMJs they use (wouldn't ever hunt with that load) but the data says max point target range is 550yrds.

I have shot Prarie dogs and used 223 out to almost 600 just fine. same goes for the 6X45. the 6X45 bucked the wind a little better.

you should explore the endless loadings and bullet designs that can be used in the rifle you currently have and make a decision after that, I dont see how you wouldnt be able to find a load that will do what you want it to. Spend some time testing, thats how I found that my Rem SPS Tactical with a 1/9 twist in a 20" barrel likes 60 gr.the best, everone wants the magic load that makes a 1 hole group at 200 yds.

Why don't you take the other 223 and Ackley it but make sure that you get the right twist barrel to allow you to shot the 75gr bullets. Then there is no bolt change or mag modification. I would not go with the 6x45 even though you can shoot 75gr bullets out of it without any problem you will not be gaining anything more than a larger diameter bullet. This is JMO. Although I do like the 6x45.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660A .223 will certainly drop chucks further than 250 yards. I think you just want a new gun.

I do the same thing. I create a reason in my head why I need another caliber rifle. And I wouldn't change a thing!!! You can never have too many calibers right?

I think a coyote gun and a chuck gun are 2 separate animals. As Shelton eluded to, keep your .223 for yotes.

For chucks, it's a toss up. I like the splatter effect. I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a 58gr vmax in .243 for that. Don't get me wrong, 22-250's no joke either. That's why I have both!

Originally Posted By: wolverinesOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660A .223 will certainly drop chucks further than 250 yards. I think you just want a new gun.

I do the same thing. I create a reason in my head why I need another caliber rifle. And I wouldn't change a thing!!! You can never have too many calibers right?

I think a coyote gun and a chuck gun are 2 separate animals. As Shelton eluded to, keep your .223 for yotes.

For chucks, it's a toss up. I like the splatter effect. I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a 58gr vmax in .243 for that. Don't get me wrong, 22-250's no joke either. That's why I have both!

If it was chucks only then maybe a .204.

If you want a new gun fine but you don't need one. The 223 will work just fine at well over 250 yds. Learn the ballistics and work up to the potential of the 223. Once you get to where you really do need a bigger gun you will have a better understanding of what you need. A bigger cal. will not make you a better hunter. Good luck.

Check out the new 69g gr Sierra Tipped Matchkings on thread = "Tipped SMK's...!? "
It has a great BC of 0.375, for a 223.
There's at least one yote kill with 69gr TMK at 300yds.
This pill over 8208 is what I carry when yote hunt'n.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I figured just re barrel the other 223 this way I don't have to fool with selling the other 223 and buying another gun.

my old 223 is a savage axis sporter barrel.

After shooting prairie dogs with a .22-250 in my teenage years,
I couldn't believe the drop of the .223 @ 300 meters during Army
basic training. Decided then and there that cartridge was not
for me. I know that may ruffle some feathers here, and if you
guys are happy with that cartridge, so much the better. Any
.223 case I have eventually gets turned into Tac20.
tt2.gif

The easiest barrel change would be to .204 Ruger, in which
case only the barrel would need to be changed and head spaced.
If you reload, you could get a tighter twist barrel and shoot
longer, heavier bullets. B.C. would be better than .224 bullets
and killing power could be matched at distance as well. Even a
32gr pill @ 4000fps is like shooting a laser out past 300 yds.

As stated before, a change to a .473 bolt head would also be
needed for .22-250 or .243. Unless you're all thumbs, that is
pretty easy. The more difficult part would be the needed
changes in the magazine area. A question to the Axis board at
savageshooters.com would no doubt get you any needed answers
for questions you have for that.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
The two other cartridges are noticeably more than a .223, and a step up from each other. Nobody but you can know what you'll like best.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014so I just recently got into woodchuck and coyote hunting rural Ohio and have a savage 223 heavy barrel. I really didn't give any other caliber much thought because of the cost of 223 ammo but now seeing how short my shots have to be for the 223 I'm thinking of a faster caliber for longer shots. imo 250 is the max for a 223 on anything woodchuck or coyote. I have another savage 223 I was thinking of re barreling to 22-250 or 243 for the extra speed and reach, so what's your thoughts? stick with what I have or go bigger?

ohihunter2014: I want to suggest that you go to 6mmBR.com and read about what other people are doing. I prefer a 22-250 for most of my longer shots. My strong suggestion would be to stick with bullets that have High Coefficient. You do not have to have barrel burning speed. Just dope the wind and know your rifle. I have some 223 but they are not my favorite cartridge or rifles. I have been considering going to a twenty caliber as apposed to the 223. BUt that's me. Or the possibility of one of the type of 6mm or just build myself a 6.5 for really long shots.
Another option.... A friend of mine does not have a varmint rifle and decided to use his 308. So we worked together to get light bullets and hot loads. We found that with all the wind we have in Texas that the 125 grain seem to serve best. I heard about some guys that use a 300 WSM with 125 gr smoking almost 4000 FPS for use at 1000yds.
Sometimes we overlook possibilities that are right in front of us.
Another one is to load a MARLIN 30-30 with 125 gr bullets w/ points on them singularly ( one at a time ) hot loads that will do a number on things all the way to 300yds. Paco Kelly has been doing this and his writings are on the net. That is a hoot to varmint hunt with a lever gun.

Back