Got busted tonight

boss

Had one come in silent at the one hour mark. Started an hour before sundown on a powerline right of way that splits our piece. Tried fawn distress early on and then switched to a few female howls at the end. Went to leave to try another spot and 125 yards down the trail I get a challenge bark and howl, busted! I tried Mouse squeaker and lip squeak but that dog knew something wasn't right. Oh well, first one that I've called in that's talked. Gonna try Again at 3 am if the mosquitoes don't carry me out.

Got up early and tried again. Got a response to a lone female howl but that was it. The powerline is my only feasible shot right now, too thick on the rest of the property. Gonna have to try bait or a scent post. Got one on camera again about 3 weeks ago. game cam

Bait hunting can be very effective, but it's not as easy as a lot of guys think. There's a definite learning curve to it. I have been doing it now for a few years and have learned a thing or two. But, it can work when calling doesn't. Eastern hunting is so different than western.

The powerline could possibly be a good bait site for you, provided you can get the wind right.

If you decide to set up a bait site for coyotes, then by all means check out the baiting posts in the Predator Hunting section. If you want to talk more about it, send me a personal and we can discuss it.

Thanks 6mm06. I was reading some of your posts about baiting. For the type of land where I'm at I think the powerline is a pretty good travel route for them as it is goes for miles in both directions. Really thick pine tracts, cutover, and cypress swamp broken up by small farms and residential tracts is the main land layout. I'm a little torn on shooting them during pup season, but we have a small quail population and our turkeys are down from the last 2 years.

Well, you will choose which way is best for you, to give them a pass during pup season or to hunt them. For me personally, I give them a pass and hope for some good hunting later in the fall/winter, but if they are destroying your quail population, then I can understand shooting them this time of year too. Good luck.

The powerline sounds like it might have good baiting potential, especially that it's a travel corridor. With a proper setup, you can drop coyotes there.

Movement

Scent

At 50 yards, they will see you blink

Smelling you at 250 yards down wind is normal.

Limit movement...can't stress this enough

I put out some type of cover scent, sardines in Oil works real good, two socks with each having two cans of sardines in oil, hung from tree limbs 25 yards on either side of you

I have been busted many, many times by wearing the same pair of boots that I pumped gas with at the gas station, they can smell your boot tracks from 10-15 yards off the trail you walked in on if you stepped in gas at the pump.

Getting busted is part of hunting, you can limit it with some forethought.

When I have got busted, I have only had luck with a challenge howl. You gave that guy a REAL GOOD education on all those calls, now he knows that everyone of them is a human!!!

Back