Thumlers Tumbler and Rebel base?

Originally Posted By: RustydustWhat's a Rebel 17 base?

Sounds like the name of a video game.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/extreme-tumblers-rebel-17.html

As you can see in the picture, the bearings are actual bearings versus nylon bushings like the Thumblers. It is also a (seemingly) more rugged design. It also has a higher weight capacity. An upgrade if you will...

From the STM site...
"The drum is the same size as the Thumler's Tumbler Model B. The Rebel 17 can hold more due to the larger ball-bearing shafts. The drum and motor for the Thumler's Tumbler will work with this unit."

"This is the same base that comes with the Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17. Includes: steel powder coated base, complete drive shaft & idler shaft with bearings, and belt. If you already have a Thumler's Tumbler Model B and would like to upgrade your unit then this is it. The motor and drum from the Thumler's Model B will fit onto this unit, although you need to make certain that your red drum is round. We have found that many of the Thumler's drums are not true and have a lot of wobble. This can cause the drum to come off of this base. Run the lid of the drum opposite the motor side of the base. This has a 3 year warranty."

I swapped out the base on one of my model b's with the Rebel base, used the same motor they gave me a new belt.
IMO the Rebel base is much better the bearings verses the plastic bushings.
I had a bushing slip out of the grove in the mod b base and the rod ground a slot through the bracket.
I will be swapping out my other mod b base also

Originally Posted By: fw707Has anybody swapped out the base for the Thumlers tumbler with the Rebel 17 base?
Thanks for any first-hand info!

Is yours giving you problems?

Nope, no problems.
I was just thinking about upgrading from plastic bushings to bearings. They would be a lot more durable in the long run, quieter, and you can run a little more weight in the tumbler.

Thanks Rich44!

Originally Posted By: Rich44I had a bushing slip out of the grove in the mod b base and the rod ground a slot through the bracket.

I had the same thing happen but caught it before it got bad (sounded like nails on a chalkboard about 30 min in). Cut a 1/4" deeper grove, but I slapped the plastic bushing back in & it's worked great since. The rebel definitely looks like a better mouse trap but not until my MB base completely quits... I do grease the bushings from time to time. I think they might outlast me. Oh, & I overload the tank compared to it's specs too, but I do give it a little shove to get things started.

Back