80 % LOWERS

100% stripped lowers are selling for $55 bucks here at the local dealer. Can't see messing around with and 80% unless you just want to see if you can do it.

Originally Posted By: 1Fox100% stripped lowers.. local ...Can't see messing around with and 80% unless you just want to see if you can do it.
dido, local here is 45$ for an Anderson, not a blem either.
They can't keep them on the shelves more than a day or two...
I guess the point for some is to pay an up charge to stay out of the Gvt paper trail,,
cry.gif

Ive put several together I have a small mill and can get them milled in about an hour taking my time, you can buy the anodized ones and no finish on the outside will be needed. I have used the raw ones and duracoat works very well on them. Even the anodized ones will need some coating in the area's you milled out.

Makes no sense to me.......Do they make 80% hammers...I think I want one.....I want to grind all the slag off and checker the head.....

Makes perfect sense if you like to do things yourself, and the bonus is Big Brother has no clue how many are out there. Another thing is you can fit it to the upper way tighter than milspec that is if you like slop free fits. But go ahead grind that hammer you might actually enjoy it.

I hate to point this out..

But if the reason is that you don't want Government to know.. Then why not just buy it at a gun show and be on your way as Mr. Cash with a complete lower, gun, or stipped lower?

Very few are handy enough to do it as good or better than a CNC machine.

I wouldn't mess with it since it's seriously only a few bucks less than a stripped lower.

One other thing to consider, is that if you for what ever reason get stopped, as i have, and they go to run a non-serialized weapon, i don't even want to think of that headache.
All they are checking for is if it was reported stolen. If you buy from a private or gun show you should check that first, then relax. no paperwork then either.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerMakes no sense to me.......Do they make 80% hammers...I think I want one.....I want to grind all the slag off and checker the head.....

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I've always wanted to try and completer a 80% lower, but seeing as you can get a complete Anderson lower for 40 bucks I don't see it being worth the time and effort.

There are a couple issues that kill it, or at least should...one is legal. Unless something has changed, you have {always had to anyway} to get a class II stamp. You are manufacturing a firearm and ATF has to either approve of or assign a serial number and approve of the actual manufacture and blueprint. They also have to approve you as the owner. I have heard people say that you can now manufacture one firearm for yourself, used to hear that about moonshine too...not true as best I cant tell. I think if you get caught with a home manufactured firearm, especially one with no serial number that qualifies for the 10 years/$10,000.00 fine.
Second, most 80% lowers have no mil-spec hard anodizing. Not a big deal, but if the takedown pin holes do not have hard anodize inside their bores the takedown pins wear out the holes fairly quickly and you have a sloppy loose fitting upper to lower no matter how "tight" you fitted them to start with.
Third, as discussed...the whole cost thing. Unless you are a convicted felon that really needs an AR and cant get one any other way...it just makes no sense.
I really think any one that gets caught with a home made non serialized firearm is not going to have a very good immediate future...I doubt very seriously that you could just explain to ATF that you "like to do things for yourself" and they will go away.

Originally Posted By: msincThere are a couple issues that kill it, or at least should...

"Should" as in you think they should not be allowed?

Just asking for clarification.

Originally Posted By: msincThere are a couple issues that kill it, or at least should...one is legal. Unless something has changed, you have {always had to anyway} to get a class II stamp. You are manufacturing a firearm and ATF has to either approve of or assign a serial number and approve of the actual manufacture and blueprint. They also have to approve you as the owner. I have heard people say that you can now manufacture one firearm for yourself, used to hear that about moonshine too...not true as best I cant tell. I think if you get caught with a home manufactured firearm, especially one with no serial number that qualifies for the 10 years/$10,000.00 fine.
Second, most 80% lowers have no mil-spec hard anodizing. Not a big deal, but if the takedown pin holes do not have hard anodize inside their bores the takedown pins wear out the holes fairly quickly and you have a sloppy loose fitting upper to lower no matter how "tight" you fitted them to start with.
Third, as discussed...the whole cost thing. Unless you are a convicted felon that really needs an AR and cant get one any other way...it just makes no sense.
I really think any one that gets caught with a home made non serialized firearm is not going to have a very good immediate future...I doubt very seriously that you could just explain to ATF that you "like to do things for yourself" and they will go away.

The only thing that should be killed is your thought process.You sound like a gun grabber. And you are so wrong I don't even know where to begin. You should delete this post until you inform yourself. Because you are spreading outright lies. You can build guns for yourself. And you can even sell it. You just can't be in the business of doing it for profit. I'm amazed you have so much faith in the government. Yet you know so little of what you are talking about. Please look under the ATF website about making your own firearms, it's important. Everything you said is wrong. And what the h3ll is a class II stamp? And where is the law that says a home made firearm will get you 10 years an $10,000 fine? My head hurts from reading this crap.

Are you related to this politician in CA? It's less than 1 minute video. And you sound like him. Even worse if that's possible.

Originally Posted By: msincThere are a couple issues that kill it, or at least should...one is legal. Unless something has changed, you have {always had to anyway} to get a class II stamp. You are manufacturing a firearm and ATF has to either approve of or assign a serial number and approve of the actual manufacture and blueprint. They also have to approve you as the owner. I have heard people say that you can now manufacture one firearm for yourself, used to hear that about moonshine too...not true as best I cant tell. I think if you get caught with a home manufactured firearm, especially one with no serial number that qualifies for the 10 years/$10,000.00 fine.

Its always a good idea to know what you are talking about before you talk!! First off its LEGAL for you to make a firearm for personal use as long as the firearm is legal for YOU to own where you live and you dont have the intent to sell. The ATF recommends you put a serial number on it along with your name and address but that NOT required. Mostly for identification purposes in the event it gets stolen. So if a beltfed is legal for you to own where you live, YES you can build one. If a handgun is legal for you to own where you live, YES you can build one. If a 20mm anto tank rifle is legal for you to own, YES you can build one.

Last edited:
Back