Problem closing the bolt on my new Rem. 700 5R in .300 Win Mag..

Gunner1

I finally got some ammo for my new Remington Model 700 5R .300 Win Mag and thought I'd do a dry run of chambering a live round and extracting it. Well, the bolt was VERY hard to close with the live round in there but I eventually got it. I tried with a full magazine and the same thing happened several times. The bolt strips the rounds from the magazine and feeds them well enough, but it doesn't want to go over the base of the cartridge. To remove a round without using the bolt all I have to do is lift the muzzle and it slides right out so I don't think the chamber is the problem. I did have the rifle Cerakoted when I bought it. Below is a pic of the chamber where you can see something on the outside and a pic of the bolt face. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20150314_120531_zpsy6bbvxrt.jpg

20150314_120634_zpszgdierwa.jpg

Originally Posted By: tugboaterAre they hand loads? iAre the lugs squeaky when you close the bolt?

They were factory Federal rounds. I also tried new, unprimed Winchester brass and the same thing happened. Nope, no squeaking from the lugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gunner1
20150314_120634_zpszgdierwa.jpg

The extractor isn't sitting correctly in the bolt. The only thing sticking out should be the little claw. That flat that's showing is keeping you from closing the bolt as it hits the case head and stops the forward movement of the bolt.

It should look like this..
89e3bd6d82c8b7482b87b0012fae85a7_zpsbd4bb268.jpg

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Are you certain your scope base screws are not protruding through the receiver?

Yes sir, I just double checked. BTW, that's a nice rifle in your pic! Can I ask what size the objective is on the scope and what rings you're using?

Look at the bolt face , you may have a small ridge around the edge of the extracter that keeps it for moving back,I had the something on my 700 sps just try smoothing that ridge and it will be OK.

Joe

Originally Posted By: barkIt is definitely an extractor issue. The last three 700's I purchased all had this problem.

How did you fix it? Mine's riveted in. Should I just bite the bullet and have a mini-M16 extractor put in?

Originally Posted By: FurhunterSee if it will push back into place. It might have not been seated correctly from the factory.

Tried that but it didn't help any.

Originally Posted By: Gunner1Originally Posted By: pahntr760Are you certain your scope base screws are not protruding through the receiver?

Yes sir, I just double checked. BTW, that's a nice rifle in your pic! Can I ask what size the objective is on the scope and what rings you're using?

That is a 3-9X40 Leupold VX-2 with the CDS. It sits in a set of Talley LW Lows.

Originally Posted By: Gunner1Originally Posted By: barkIt is definitely an extractor issue. The last three 700's I purchased all had this problem.

How did you fix it? Mine's riveted in. Should I just bite the bullet and have a mini-M16 extractor put in?

Any decent gunsmith should be able to help you out quick and easily. I don't see the need for the m-16 or Sako extractor...but if you want it, send to Gre-Tan.

I had that issue with a 700 too. My smith fixed it in 15 seconds with a dremel. I have another here that should be dressed a little too.

Well, I got the rifle back last Friday and it works awesome - or at least like it should have from the factory. Put my Timney trigger back in, remounted my scope and shot it on Memorial Day. At 50 yards, my first three shots with no adjustment on the scope at all hit the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter. My girlfriend's uncle shot it and put three shots into a similar sized group with two of the rounds going in the same hole. Overall I'm very pleased and look forward to getting her sighted in at 100 yards and reloading some custom rounds for it.

Back