Sony DCR-VX2000 for night-time video?

6mm06

I'm posting this in the Night Calling section since I hope to get input from someone who has used the Sony VX-2000 for recording night hunts.

I met a guy the other day who was videoing a wedding I was attending and he was using this camera. He said it works really well in low light, so I'm wondering just how good and how it might do for filming night hunts.

Appreciate any info.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I'm posting this in the Night Calling section since I hope to get input from someone who has used the Sony VX-2000 for recording night hunts.

I met a guy the other day who was videoing a wedding I was attending and he was using this camera. He said it works really well in low light, so I'm wondering just how good and how it might do for filming night hunts.

Appreciate any info.

I've used several camcorders for day and night hunting.
Day recording is ok but night hunting is problematic.
Focus is an issue because there isn't enough light.
I had to manually focus.
Then the cross hairs are out of focus because there isn't enough light.
You need to turn off the batt. saving setting or you will get a blue screen in the eye every few mins. That runs the batts. down so you need extra batts.
If you plan on using an IR light, the camcorder needs a IR switch.
The dedicated camera seem as if they would be a better choice.
CH

I'm looking to video hunts, hoping for some good quality video. I won't be using the camera to see through a scope, and only wonder about the camera as to the quality of video it might produce, especially at night.

I was fiddling around with video cameras one night trying to find one that would pick up IR light. I checked all my digital cameras, a newer Sony DVR about 2 years old and my old hi8mm Sony Handy cam that I have had for 10 years. Amazingly the old Sony would pick up the IR light I use for night vision. I was also very surprised by how well I could see. The camera does have night shot on it and when you turn the night shot on you can pick up the IR light. Its just too bad the camera record to the old 8mm tapes.

Yea, I have two Sony mini-DV cameras that have the night shot feature. They do work well with IR. I used one of them to video a jackal hunt in Namibia, but also the guides were using spotlights and that helped a lot too.

Back